help me buy the right resale

6sunrise 00:35 07 Dec 05

Hi. I presently have a personal computer, but need to acquire a laptop to use as I have a house in Cyprus that I visit often and need to log on to internet wherever I am. Don't want to spend too much, and am happy with relatively old technology. There are masses of resales for sale on eg Ebay, but don't know what type to buy.

I want a light, reasonably fast, cdrom (ideally DVD but not essential)that will take xp, ideally finger touch integral mouse rather than the horrible button type (you can tell I'm technical!!), and up to 4 years old.

What makes and models should I go for?

Please help me.

Graham

Skills 00:44 07 Dec 05

Cant really advise on a model but things to consider are

Battery highly likely that this will have come to the end of its useful life and a replacement battery would set you back around the £100 mark. Not really a problem thou if you are going to only use it near the mains.

If you buy from ebay then you want to be extra careful as you have no warrenty. Personally I would buya second hand one or a refurbed from a shop. That way you'll at least have a warrenty for a while.

click here does refurbed and 2nd hand models

It all depend on what sort of a budget you have to play with, I would really advise going for one from a retailer so that you do have some form of recourse should anything pack up in the first few weeks.

SG Atlantis® 11:19 08 Dec 05

most manufacturers have laptops starting from £350 approx. Brand new with a warranty.

Diodorus Siculus 11:30 08 Dec 05

HotUKDeals :: Promotional codes, discount codes and forums :: UK deals, discount codes, vouchers, bargains and forum
"Dell Laptop 14.1in W/Screen 1300 WiFi DVD±RW £399 Or Less
Dell Inspiron 1300, with a 1.4GHz processor, wireless card and 8x speed DVD±ReWriter drive, 40Gb hard drive, XP Home SP2, Works 7.0 for just £398.99p including VAT/Delivery. If you buy through your QuidCo.Com account, you can earn a BIG 6.5% in cashback, worth around £22! Bringing the price paid after cashback to £376 approximately. Or go directly to the deal using the link below."
click here

DieSse 11:34 08 Dec 05

I'm with SG Atlantis® here. When you can buy a new system for less than any of the second-hand ones at the site Skills gave - it's no contest IMO. Saw one last night on telly for £349!

click here and note the free vodaphone card too if you buy on line.

De Marcus™ 11:40 08 Dec 05

Hi 6sunrise, as skills mentioned no laptop of that age or pedigree is going to have a battery of any use, so when you factor the cost in to the price of a second hand one (say 150 to 200 quid) the total comes out anywhere between 250 and 300 (roughly guessing) so going by SG Atlantis®'s suggestion, adding an extra 50 - 100 quid to the equasion gets you a brand new laptop, with warranty, support winxp, probably a cd burner of some type / integrated dvd rom, etc, etc.

If you can push your budget to £400 click here

Forum Editor 19:43 08 Dec 05

a second-hand IBM ThinkPad can be a real gem. People who use these machines tend to become attached to them (I did) simply because they are so well designed and built.

Be choosy, take time, and for £250 you'll find a good one - you won't regret it.

One more word of advice - If you do acquire one of these machines, go straight out and buy a nice little mouse for it.

De Marcus™ 20:48 08 Dec 05

Pc World have an Acer on offer at £350 advertised on TV this evening.

Diodorus Siculus 07:56 09 Dec 05

HotUKDeals :: Promotional codes, discount codes and forums :: UK deals, discount codes, vouchers, bargains and forum
"Bargain bargain bargain at Dell! Get the Inspiron 1300 1.4GHz laptop with 14" screen and DVDRW drive for a measly £339 including VAT and delivery! That's a fantastic offer for a basic laptop but good enough specs to do most things that you want, it's even got a DVD-RW.

Also if you want to upgrade to a 15.4" widescreen it will only set you back another £35 or so"
click here

Diodorus Siculus 19:30 10 Dec 05

Staples are advertising a thinkpad for £400 or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…