Help Me With 2 OS'S

Gareth2303 12:17 28 Aug 03

I had windows 2000 On my computer and then wanted to update to Windows XP. When i updated i realised i had stil got two os's on my computer and at the startup sceen i have to choose between the two. I liked this at start but now xp is running smoothly and i dont use my old os. How do i remove the choice at startup but still keep 2000 there in the backround

temp003 12:21 28 Aug 03

In either OS, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery (and Settings for XP). Under System Startup, make sure that XP is selected as the default operating system.

Then in display list of operating systems, change the time to zero seconds. Click OK.

Gareth2303 12:24 28 Aug 03

I think thats solved it, ill not know to i restart but thanks anyways

temp003 12:39 28 Aug 03

I should have mentioned, that once you've changed the settings, you can only re-enable the w2k boot option, if you can boot into XP.

There just may come a time when your XP is playing up and you can't boot into it, and you want to go into w2k but you can't either, because the option is not there (and you can't go into XP to restore the option).

I suggest before you change the settings as in my last post, you create a boot floppy for the existing dual boot.

Boot into XP, insert a floppy, right click drive A and select Format. Do not select any of the options. Just click Start.

After formatting, copy the files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini from the C partition to the floppy.

Normally you won't see these files under C. In My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and (1) tick "Show hidden files and folders" (2) untick "hide file extensions for known file types (3) untick "hide protected operating system files". Then click OK.

You'll see the 3 files under C. Copy them to the XP-formatted floppy. You can boot up the computer with this floppy, and get both OS options.

If you have already changed the settings (for the display time), change it back to, say 10 seconds, click OK, then copy the files to the floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…