Help! Massively infected PC

pctyke 14:50 21 Oct 08

Hi just wondered if anyone could give me some advice regarding my teenagers PC.
Ive just managed to do a check via Stopzilla and it has told me there are 59 infections including a worm in the boot and various trojans and adware and rogues.
I cannot remove them unless i pay according to the stopzilla site. I have tried to clean the hard drive but the PC tells me this cannot be done. I have tried to load up spybot and AVG but they both fail.
Any advice much appreciated.

rawprawn 15:08 21 Oct 08

Try click here
Why won't they load, what happens.
You could try downloading to a pen drive then running it in Safe mode

jimv7 15:08 21 Oct 08

click here download malwarebytes, install, update then run it in safe mode.

Safe mode accessed by starting the pc and tapping f8 to get to the menu.

rawprawn 15:09 21 Oct 08

Uninstall Stopzilla first.

rawprawn 15:14 21 Oct 08

I would use Revo Uninstaller in Advanced mode to uninstall it. click here

Belatucadrus 15:55 21 Oct 08

Another scanner/cleaner that would be worth a shot is Dr.Web CureIT click here can be run from a USB stick and is free.

DieSse 19:25 21 Oct 08

I find the simplest way to clean drives like this it to fit them as a slave drive in another system, then run the clean systems AV on them. This can clear out boot viruses as well as others.

If you want a top grade clean, try the NOD32 on-line scan and clean.

click here

pctyke 12:18 22 Oct 08

Thanks for the info guys. Ive managed to do a couple of virus checks and think i have got rid of some of it but the avg told me some couldnt be removed.
Also this morning i have found the PC very slow. ie when it has all started up you click on start menu and that takes a while to load.
I want to make the computer run a check on itself and a tidy up but it refuses to do this.
Any advice on the above much appreciated

rawprawn 12:36 22 Oct 08

Download and run click here use both cleaner and registry cleaner.

bobbybluenose 12:59 22 Oct 08

after you have tried all the above try the 30 day free trial.run all the power tools and individual tools to speed up your pcclick here
all the best bobby

tomtojo 13:46 22 Oct 08

Hi pctyke
you have had plenty of good advice, so I will just add another option, back up files to external drive, music,photos etc, and format the hard drive, I would partition the drive also, and install fresh os on both partitions, the reason I would have two partitions is you can run a repair and also scan a partition from the good one if you have a problem with one of them.

If your son/daughter download music etc, make them use only one partition, so the other is always clean.
this may seem the long way to sort the problem, but as others may agree it is sometimes the quickest,
this info was told to me by a IT pro on a course I attended, install two partitions or leave unpartitioned space on your hardrive so you can install a second os if needed, basicly its a saftey net.

Hope this helps you pctyke.
good luck

Tom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now