HELP!! Lost Outlook Personal Folders

sarah1980 14:18 05 Jan 07

My Outlook 2000 froze up when I was sending a message, and would not close. In the end I closed it using the task manager and re-started my PC. But then when I reopened outlook I got the error message "Outlook could not open the file containing the folders used to send & receive email messages, create appointments, and open the address book.

Please select from the options listed below.

Create a new personal folders file.
Open an existing personal folders file."

I clicked the 2nd option, and went to where my Outlook.pst is located. Hhowever, when I double clicked on this, I got the error message "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" and then when i click "OK", I got the message "The file C:\Documents and Settings\User\LocalSettings\Application Data\Microsoft\Otlook\Outlook.pst is not a Personal Folders file".

When I checked into this, I noticed that the file size was 0 bytes, which got me worried.

Luckily, I backed up onto my external hard drive yesterday, so I haven't lost that much. the only problem is my contacts folder. A lot of my contacts were in subfolders of the main contacts folder. And I don't seem to have any of the subfolders on the backed up .pst file, only the contacts in the main "contacts" folder.

Please tell me if there is a way to restore the emails I've sent and filed today, and also the subfolders of contacts.

I am desparate!!

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 14:22 05 Jan 07
  Technotiger 14:25 05 Jan 07

Hi, one of these might help ...

click here

sarah1980 14:31 05 Jan 07

Thanks for the advice. i have been runinng the Inbox repair tool every day for the past few weeks, there is constantly something wrong with it. Thankfully I have just bought a new PC, which i hope will solve the problem.

Is there any way I can back up my subfolders in the future so that this doesn't happen again?

Technotiger 14:32 05 Jan 07
  VoG II 14:34 05 Jan 07

Outlook Backup click here - unfortunately only for 2002 onwards.

sarah1980 14:35 05 Jan 07

Thanks, I am running Outlook 2000, not Outlook express...

Technotiger 14:39 05 Jan 07
  sarah1980 18:01 05 Jan 07

I tried running the inbox Repair Tool but received this message "This file cannot be recovered because it is not large enough to contain any useful data"

Does this mean all my contacts are lost?

brundle 18:06 05 Jan 07

Search your computer and backup drive for .pab files.

click here

User-312386 18:07 05 Jan 07

did you archive outlook?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…