Help with lost data following Windows reinstall

Never again 11:31 18 Oct 05

My friend has a pc running windows xp professional and for one reason or another decided to reinstall windows - I'm not sure why.

It appears as if she forgot to back up any data and has "lost" some treasured photographs, as the reinstalled version of windows has no personal data - only bare windows folders, etc.

Are these photos now irretrevable?

rawprawn 11:42 18 Oct 05

I would think that she will have lost everything but you could try this free program to search for any jpegs left on the HD
click here

Ellion 15:20 18 Oct 05

I have used this, and it worked for me click here

Stuartli 17:40 18 Oct 05

You should advise her that a Repair of XP in future will preserve programs, applications, configuration etc.

Never again 21:04 29 Oct 05

Sorry that I have not been able to reply sooner, but rawprawn's suggestion did the job, I got all her photos back which were then backed up to cd.

The only drawback was that I had to fit an additional slave drive to write the data to - lucky that I'm a bit of a hoarder then :-)).

and I did advise her to subscribe to the PC Advisor website and to call me ( so I could check out the site) before she did anything drastic in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…