Help with lost data following Windows reinstall

Never again 11:31 18 Oct 05

My friend has a pc running windows xp professional and for one reason or another decided to reinstall windows - I'm not sure why.

It appears as if she forgot to back up any data and has "lost" some treasured photographs, as the reinstalled version of windows has no personal data - only bare windows folders, etc.

Are these photos now irretrevable?

rawprawn 11:42 18 Oct 05

I would think that she will have lost everything but you could try this free program to search for any jpegs left on the HD
click here

Ellion 15:20 18 Oct 05

I have used this, and it worked for me click here

Stuartli 17:40 18 Oct 05

You should advise her that a Repair of XP in future will preserve programs, applications, configuration etc.

Never again 21:04 29 Oct 05

Sorry that I have not been able to reply sooner, but rawprawn's suggestion did the job, I got all her photos back which were then backed up to cd.

The only drawback was that I had to fit an additional slave drive to write the data to - lucky that I'm a bit of a hoarder then :-)).

and I did advise her to subscribe to the PC Advisor website and to call me ( so I could check out the site) before she did anything drastic in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch