Help locate my modem

User-1222591 21:43 10 Dec 07

I have recently purchased a laptop with Vista, and I have attempted to connect it to a Netgear DG834G ASDL Firewall router, which currently provides a wireless connection for another laptop that has uses Windows XP. When I attempt to both install AOL onto my latest laptop (with Vista), or attempt to connect to the router I receive the message that the modem cannot be found. As you may realise I have very limited experience in computing. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Forum Editor 08:03 11 Dec 07

should find the router automatically, and offer it to you when you click on the wireless network icon in your system tray in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen. You can then select your router from the list (if there is a list, there are usually other wireless networks in your vicinity) and tell your computer to connect.

You should also get a pop-up message from Vista, telling you that 'One or more' wireless networks have been detected.

Do neither of these things happen?

TonyM 08:49 11 Dec 07

The fact it is looking for a modem implies it is set to access the internet via a dial-up modem rather than use a network conenction. I don't know about Vista but in XP you would go into Internet Options and select "Never dial a connection" under the connection options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…