Help with Laptop purchase!

hawthorn59 02:43 16 Dec 04

Help someone! Im about to buy a laptop, mainly for light use, and music, but may do editing of holiday videos etc later on. Im down to a few.

This week in LIDL, they have a Targa. Heres some of spec:
AMD 3000+ 64 bit mobile
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, 128 DDR Ram Graphics
Pioneer DVD/CD Burner
7 in 2 memory card reader
Wireless Network and internet connection
Modem
80GB HD 5400rpm
512 Ram
Included extras: Optical wireless mouse, Memory stick, Remote control(?), Carry Bag, Scart, Pinnacle, Works Suite 2005, Nero software etc; headphone, microphone etc

The big question is AMD rather than Pentium. Heres another one Im considering:

Advent Pentium 4 3 GHZ, 512 Ram, 60GB HD, 6 usb, card reader, DVD RW,

Now I dont have as much details about the Advent, but no extras included. Now to price:

Targa €1499 Advent €1299

€200 is a lot to me at the moment, also the Advent is in Currys who allow you 9 months to pay, interest free. I really did like the look of the Advent, dont know if its wireless or not.

Any advice? Whats Targa like? It has 3 yr warranty and helpline. Whats Advent like?

Thanks in advance!

KC

Diodorus Siculus 08:23 16 Dec 04

Both are good machines from good manufacturers but one can never be guaranteed that nothing will go wrong.

AMD / Pentium - little difference there nowadays. Going with the one which has a mobile chip is a good option - runs cooler.

If going on the credit option, be sure to be able to pay it off within time as the interest rate will be pretty high.

wx622 08:52 16 Dec 04

To be honest, in this price range, you want the best quality components for your money, because as you are only spending between £800 and £1000, you will not get exceptionally good quality components. So you really want to get a laptop from a recognised and trusted brand. You may not get as fast a processor or graphics on such a machine, but you know that it will be reliable.

I would check out e-buyer.co.uk on click here

for laptops. If you asked my opinion, go for a Vaio, but if not, go for a laptop with an Intel Centrino processor, not an AMD-based chip.
(But if you are interested in PC's, go for an AMD 64-bit processor every time!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…