sillysoo 09:59 03 Nov 04

Hi, I have a dell inspirion laptop and had a few problems with it trying to install a usb card reader. I decided to re-install windows and assumed that by re-installing it would automatically erase the first windows. However it seems that it didn't and I now have two lots of windows xp home on the disk, which is taking up an awful lot of space. The laptop will not let me format the disk, I assume that it is configured not to allow this. I have gone through all the "help" files to format the disk and I have done exactly what it tells me to do but when it comes to actually formatting the disk it stops there and tells me I can't do it?Please help....Thanks

cherria 10:54 03 Nov 04

what do you mean, the laptop will not allow you to format the disk?

If you mean that you cannot format it from within XP, this is because you cannot format the disk that XP is currently using to run from.

You need to boot from the XP CD, say you want a brand new installation, remove all disk partitions, recreate the partitions, format the disk and install.

All should be done by making the laptop boot from the CD and starting from there.

Smegs 10:56 03 Nov 04

click here click here Have a read through these two.

sillysoo 11:02 03 Nov 04

Thanks for the answers, I am now going to read through smegs links...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…