HELP! - laptop password failure!!

Luthien 17:01 29 Aug 05

My daughter has a Compaq Presario 700 laptop, approximately 3 years old. As some of the data on it is somewhat sensitive she has a logon password that activates immediately the machine is switched on, before anything else boots in. This has worked (and the password has never been changed) since she added it, until yesterday when it came up with 'Incorrect Password'. After three attempts it came up with 'System Locked' and had to be switched off, then back on again. She has tried everything, including taking out the battery and replacing it - nothing has worked. Does anyone have any idea how to rectify this, or is it back to the manufacturer? And how could this happen if the password has never been changed - bug, virus, something like that? Any advice much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 17:03 29 Aug 05

How to Bypass BIOS Passwords
click here

How do I reset a BIOS password?
click here

It all depends on the model

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 29 Aug 05

Not sure if this is BIOS password to lock BIOS or machine Password?

If machine password is stored in CMOS settings, remove CMOS battery for 1 minute and refit (usually under flap on base of laptop)

Reboot password sould now be blank if it asks try just pressing enter or esc.

Taff36 22:10 29 Aug 05

click here

You can talk to a Compaq support assistant by messenger or e-mail on this site. Start here click here and put in your exact product details. Their support is very good albeit from US.

woodchip 22:16 29 Aug 05

Try safe mode to get to files

woodchip 22:22 29 Aug 05

Will this help. click here

click here

Luthien 16:07 06 Oct 05

...for all your help and suggestions. I've been on holiday, hence the long gap since the last posting. After several e-mails with HP help desk, I received notification that the problem would require an out-of-warranty repair costing £378.50 + VAT - a total of £456.31!!!!!! I took it to a local PC shop and got it back four days later - the guy had opened it up, removed the CMOS battery for 48 hours, and this cleared the BIOS. Total cost - £25.00! I know companies have to make a profit to survive, but this was pure extortion from HP - the repair guy told me they could quite easily have given me the backdoor password as a goodwill gesture. I'll think twice then think again before I buy anything related to Compaq and Hewlet-Packard in future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…