Help with laptop

jasoncb 11:56 28 Oct 10

Hello, i have a toshiba a120 laptop. What happens is when i plug it in i get a green light (seems normal enough) and then i press the power button another green light comes up (again seems normal enough) and the hard drive starts to spin but i get no display on the screen and i checked to see if the CPU fan spins, it doesnt spin at all.

All i can hear is the hard drive start up nothing else seems to happen.

I have tested the following items in another laptop and they all appear to work:

CPU Fan
CPU
Memory

Have i missed something because atm im stomped as to whats wrong :(

jamesd1981 11:33 29 Oct 10

could be the screen, if its powering up ok, have you tried connecting it it to an external screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:30 29 Oct 10

You may also need to press a key combination to swap to external screen usually Fn + one of the F keys.

jasoncb 17:22 29 Oct 10

no i checked and nothing on the external monitor, really doesnt explain why the cpu fan doesnt spin at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 29 Oct 10

1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Try on mains without the battery

woodchip 20:36 29 Oct 10

I have tested the following items in another laptop and they all appear to work:
CPU Fan
CPU
Memory

How did you test them as there is no way of testing without fitting in a Identical Laptop.

There is no such thing as appear to work, they either work or they don't

jasoncb 00:23 30 Oct 10

intel dual core cpus fit in many different laptops surprisingly, the cpu fan was tested with a tester i made myself with a universal power supply connected to a 4pin block, and the memory works in the laptop i am using to type to you.

ok 'appears' was a term of phrase, not sure why your questioning all these things, it has to be the motherboard i believe i just thought maybe one of you might think of something i missed.
anyway thanks for your help.

woodchip 18:33 30 Oct 10

Well main thing was how you tested the CPU, It as to be the motherboard if CPU works in another Laptop that will run that CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…