Help with I/O error.

Tj_El 20:43 06 Apr 03

The PC I am working on at the moment (trying to resolve looping issue and various others) requires that the modem driver be installed.

I have this on floppy and the instructions on the manufacturers site state to run the .exe file and follow the instructions.

When I try this, I get an i/o error code 27.

Trying the same on my PC it works fine and so I believe there is an issue with the whole XP install. Can I do a repair without an XP Pro CD? Would an XP Home CD do?

spikeychris 21:01 06 Apr 03

Is this a pre-installed XP machine? if so have you looked in the \i386 directory? this is where your installation files should be located.

You could download the 1 floppy XP Install Disk from click here . Boot with it and then run WINNT.EXE from the \i386 directory, select the "R" option and repair.

Chris

spikeychris 21:21 06 Apr 03

If your struggling with the above ie: running the path (XP sometimes doesn't play fair) then you could burn the i386 folder onto CD.

I don't know if this will work but I can't see why it shouldn't.

Locate and burn the i386 folder to the CD. Download a Win98/Me startup
disk with CD support and boot with it, at the prompt:

1. type; CD i386 ENTER

2. type: winnt.exe

3. Press ENTER at the first option window.

4. Agree to license.

5. Select the option to Repair by pressing "R"

[If the option to repair is not available, exit the setup. Continuing the
setup will delete the Documents and Settings and Windows folder.]

As with all XP repairs you will have to reinstall any M$ updates you have downloaded.

Chris

I have not tried the above so be carefull...

Tj_El 21:34 06 Apr 03

Thanks spikeychris.

As I don't have the XP Pro CD would I still be able to use this repair function or does it not matter in this instance?

spikeychris 10:26 07 Apr 03

The above info is based on the fact that you don't have the disk and Windows came pre-installed.

Have you tried it? and is it still alive? :o)

Chris

connora 10:37 07 Apr 03

Why not copy i386 folder to space on the hard drive and change source in the registry, in future windows will look for it rather there rather than having to use windows disk.

Tj_El 11:14 08 Apr 03

I did not have the opportunity last night to do any work on the PC but I'll try the first of your 2 suggestions tonight when I get home.

I will not be able to do the 2nd as the PC doesn't have a CD-RW.

A friend has loaned me his XP Pro CD as well so I'm (hopefully) covered for all eventualities.....

Will post with results.

Thanks again.

Tj_El

PS. In view of where this thread is heading, maybe it should have been titled differently... oh well, shame it can't be changed. :-(

spikeychris 12:16 08 Apr 03

Tj_El, as you know it will be a lot easier if you use the Disk but be a devil! and try the first solution to see if it works.. ;o)

Chris

Tj_El 21:20 08 Apr 03

Well I created the XP boot disks (all 6 of them) and booted the PC and managed to get to disk 3 then I hit an error:

"SETUPREG.HIV could not be loaded. The error code is 4096. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

So I booted into Windows XP (successfully) and thought 'While I have been able to boot into Windows, let me check the \i386 folder to run the winnt.exe file. Guess what? The Windows directory does not have an \i386 directory and while trying to search for the winnt.exe file, the PC crashed and re-booted!

Now I can't get into Windows. I keep encountering on of those blasted windows E error messages and I've had it.

Does anyone know whether I can use a 98 boot disk to boot to DOS and whether I can simply just run setup from there to re-install XP Pro?

Thanks.

Yours most 'aggravated by PC's'
Tj_El

Tj_El 21:28 08 Apr 03

^bump

spikeychris 21:32 08 Apr 03

You don't need to use a 98 boot-disk, just set the BIOS to boot from CD and boot from the WinXPro disk you have.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…