Help - Intrusive web site - tfil.com

Red Herring 17:54 09 Jul 03

In her browsing trips, my daughter has obviuosly hit this site. The result - it forces a toolbar onto the desktop at start up, it imposes a toolbar on launching IE6 and OE6 and it also writes itself to the favorites folder and tries to establsih itself as Explorer home page. I have tried deleting cookies, favorites etc but to no avail. I am runnign Windows 98SE. Any help on how to remove it gratefully received. Thanks in advance

Jester2K II 17:55 09 Jul 03

USe Ad Aware click here and / or Spybot click here

You can alos use SpywareBlaster click here to help prevent it in future.

Gaz 25 18:21 09 Jul 03

As above, I dont think there is anything else to it.

Red Herring 19:09 09 Jul 03

Many thanks to Gaz 25 and Jester 2K II - I installed the downloads (and updates)and found quite a few nasties which have now been removed. Unfortunately the lttle toolbar critter that loads onto the desktop on start-up has avoided detection/removal and still remains - any ideas?
Thanks

Jester2K II 19:14 09 Jul 03

OK Get HijackThis - you need to remove the BHO (Browser Helper Object) click here

Hit Scana and then look at the list tick any O2 items usually BHOs) and then hit the fix button. Close IE and Windows Explorer first.

Then have a look at IE.

SUGESSTION. If there is more than one BHO only delete one, then check IE and then repeat.

VoG II 19:14 09 Jul 03
  Jester2K II 20:06 09 Jul 03

First there were BPS and TrekData. Now a third one: SpyFerret. SpyFerret is a tool on OnlincePcFix.com. Their product uses exactly the same threat names as Spybot-S&D. While this is no evidence, they have copied imaginary threats from my database that couldn't be found in the wild, as well as some other intentional mistakes to detect such thefts. One file (Wsock.dll) is even a direct copy of our file Tools.dll

SpyFerret - allegedly a copy of SpyBot

VoG II 20:58 09 Jul 03

Thank you for that. I was in a hurry, did a quick Google and found that site. A lesson learnt...

Red Herring 21:27 09 Jul 03

To Jester2K II - all fixed and many lessons learned!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…