Help with internet settings please

Never again 13:57 10 Mar 05

I have the father in laws pc running windows xp pro and it seems that I can connect to the internet but internet explorer does not work properley.

All I get is the "this page can not be displayed" white page.
Res://c:\windows\system32\shdocl.dll/dnserror.htm error message.

It definately connected to the internet as I can see the flashing screens in the system tray.

I have no clue as to what made it go this way and he is denying all knowledge.

rawprawn 13:59 10 Mar 05

Go to File and check that "Work offline" is not ticked.

VoG II 14:01 10 Mar 05
  Never again 14:02 10 Mar 05

Thanks for the suggestion - I've done that, and a few other things over the last few hours and I can't even remember what my name is now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 10 Mar 05

Reboot and retry It does this to me ocasionally a reboot usually does the trick.

Never again 14:39 10 Mar 05

I cant seem to run winsock. I have downloaded it twice onto different media but when unzipped it will not run and keeps "not responding".

I have booted the pc a few times, and have even bought a new modem as we originally suspected that the old one had died as we could not get it to respond.

The new one appears to be working ok as I get the flashing screens in systemtray, but no internet explorer functionality.

Never again 14:48 10 Mar 05

I have run a virus scan and also adaware and spybot and removed some entries - do you think that this may be related.

I've never heard of these interfering with internet explorer before.

Is there an internet explorer repair facility like there was in windows 98 add/ remove programs

VoG II 14:51 10 Mar 05

Repair IE click here

BH34 14:53 10 Mar 05
  rawprawn 14:53 10 Mar 05

Go to add or remove programs in Control Panel, then click on Add or Remove Windows Components Highlight IE and click next. You will need your XP CD

Never again 15:04 10 Mar 05

i'll be back in 45 mins - am curently runing IE repair

thanks for your sugestions so far

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…