help with installing wireless router

RINGO B 12:18 PM 28 Apr 11

Hi i am trying to install a wireless 'N' router and i got to step 2 and it said to plug lead into lang socket at back off computor but there is none i have a packard bell pin no:p842027201 s/n no:037955220011 can you please help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:09 PM 28 Apr 11

IS this a PB imedia 9094?

Strawballs 14:32 PM 28 Apr 11

It means the onboard lan if there is one if not fit a PCI network card Try Here

Clapton is God 16:35 PM 28 Apr 11

If this is a wireless router why do you need to plug it in to the PC?

Woolwell 17:36 PM 28 Apr 11

Clapton is God

You may have to connect it initially by wire to configure it and if it is a desktop there may not be a wireless connection.

Clapton is God 13:06 PM 29 Apr 11

"if it is a desktop there may not be a wireless connection".

But it's possible to buy a wireless dongle, like I did, for a desktop

Strawballs 13:21 PM 29 Apr 11

Clapton is God

That is correct but to setup a routers SSID and encryption it needs to be connect via wire first.

Clapton is God 13:25 PM 29 Apr 11

"That is correct but to setup a routers SSID and encryption it needs to be connect via wire first"

My TalkTalk wireless router doesn't

ICF 13:50 PM 29 Apr 11

If possible I would have thought it would be the best option to connect via a cable.Of course this depends on the location of router and PC. Get a PCi card as Strawballs suggests if viable.

Strawballs 19:00 PM 29 Apr 11

Clapton is God That's because yours is ISP supplied one you buy yourself you do have to and as the instructions RINGO B refers to in step 2 says plug lead into lan sockets I would say he needs to.

Ian in Northampton 20:39 PM 29 Apr 11

I've always had to connect via cable to configure a wireless router for first use. I'm sure there are routers where this isn't true - but in my experience, it often is.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…