Help installing USB 2

SteveD73 02:42 21 Jan 05

Help please.
I had a custom made PC a couple of years ago. Am quite happy with it ,but want to add USB2 connectivity to it. My tower case has 2 USB type connectors under a plastic flap on the front panel. However these are not live....i.e not connected to the motherboard. What do I need to buy/get to connect these up and once connected should the computer automatically see these new connections.

Please excuse my ignorance...any help appreciated.
Ta

Modo 07:29 21 Jan 05

If you have a spare PCI slot, buy a card with internal ports as well as external. Look at maplin & amazon or go to a computer fair.

You will just need a lead to connect to your fron ports through the computer. Type depends on how the front ports connect in. Buy some ties at the same time so you can get the leads secured away from other components.

whybe 08:11 21 Jan 05

Another possibilty is if your motherboard has spare USB headers installed. You don't mention the make but the User Guide that came with the board will mention them if fitted probably under its 'Connectors' section. If the two USB front connectors have leads attached it is just a matter of plugging them onto the motherboards USB pins. However some leads come with a number of individual plugs and these must be attached to the correct pin, the plugs will be annotated with which connection is which eg USB+5V,GND, etc. However unless the motherboard supports USB2 you will only get USB1.1 using this method.

georgemac 08:39 21 Jan 05

click here download & run everest home edition to identify your motherboard to see if it supports usb2 and then we can check & see if it has a spare port to connect the usb front panel cable to - if not

click here this is a pci usb2 card with 4 external & one internal slots - not sure though if your front panel connector wire will connect to this on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…