Help installing new DVD/CD-RW

LeedsLass 18:16 11 Jun 04

I have a Compaq Evo N400c laptop which has a Mobile Expansion Unit (MEU). In the MEU was a CD/DVD ROM and a floppy drive (this is what it came with). The OS is Win2000. I has a 20gb HDD of which 10bg is used.
I ordered and have received a CD-RW/DVD Rom to replace the floppy drive. When I inserted it into the MEU the laptop recognises the new hardware as it installed it automatically, however, neither of the drives show up in Windows Explorer (the original CD/DVD Rom used to although I did take it out to try the new drive in its place before putting it back in).

I went into device manager and it said "Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)". I followed the Troubleshooter's advice and did this in the Registry -
Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, and then click OK.
Select the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

On the Security menu, click Permissions.
In the Permissions for Enum dialog box, verify that SYSTEM has full control access.
If not, select SYSTEM in the list and in Permissions, check Full Control.
Click Advanced, and then select the Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions check box to make this change in all subsequent subkeys.
Restart your computer for this change to take effect.
- but I'm still getting the same message and neither of the drives will read any CDs.

Anyone got any ideas? Help please. And thanx in advance.

Obtw, I'm new here so hello all.

wawadave 19:02 11 Jun 04

hello wellcome here.
my devicemanager error 19 codes says to do
Your registry may be bad. (Code 19)

To check your registry, click Check Registry. If the registry is bad, Windows will restart your system and go back to a previous registry that is good.
Solution button: Check Registry
what o/s are you useing?
and more details on the cd drive problems allso.
thx

woodchip 19:12 11 Jun 04

try removing the cd drive in device manager and restart computer then check the drive with a cd

LeedsLass 14:45 12 Jun 04

I've installed and unistalled the drives several times and it still tells me the registry may be corrupt (code 19).

I'm using Windows 2000. How do you "check registry"?

LeedsLass 16:57 12 Jun 04

I went to the Microsoft website and this was what the instructions were. Anyway, I risked it (never played with registry before and don't know owt about it) and the problem is now sorted.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

Restart your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now