Help installing an ADSL router

discuss 14:34 24 Nov 05

hi I wonder if any of you IT buffs can help me please.

I need some advice on installing an ADSL router. I have an internal modem and I was wondering if there was some way to use the existing modem rather than invest on an ADSL modem/router?

I only need to connect my other desktop downstairs to the internet- wirelessly. Not really interested in file sharing etc.

Also, is there a way to share the ADSL internet access between my 2 desktops without a router(forgive me for sounding naive)?

Thanks

mgmcc 14:47 24 Nov 05

You cannot use an internal PCI ADSL modem with a router. If you want to use a router, you need to get a combined "Router/ADSL Modem".

<<< is there a way to share the ADSL internet access between my 2 desktops without a router >>>

Install a Wireless Network Adapter in each PC and create an “Ad Hoc” Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. However, as you will be using a WiFi adapter, you want this address to be allocated to it, rather than a “wired” Ethernet adapter if you have one fitted, so the Local Area Connection should be disabled before setting up “Internet Connection Sharing”. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “Host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

discuss 15:05 24 Nov 05

mgmcc thank you for quick response.

Will setting up an "Adhoc" wireless network be secure enough? And is there a big saving to made using this option as compared to the usual option of fixing a wireless router?

Also, can you recommend a good wireless router/asdl modem which has adequate security and customer support?

Thanks

mgmcc 16:29 24 Nov 05

<<< Will setting up an "Adhoc" wireless network be secure enough?>>>

You can still enable encryption with an "Ad Hoc" wireless network to make it secure. You don't have the additional security of MAC address filtering that a Wireless Access Point would provide.

<<< And is there a big saving to made using this option as compared to the usual option of fixing a wireless router?>>>

A combined "Wireless Router/ADSL Modem" would probably be in the region of £70 and depending on location, one PC could connect to it by ethernet cable, so that only the remote PC required a Wireless Network Adapter, cost about £25.

With an Ad Hoc wireless network, each PC needs a Wireless Network Adapter at about £25 each.

I don't have ADSL (my connection is Telewest Cable) so I cannot really recommend a particular Modem/Router but have a look at models from the market leaders - Belkin, Linksys, D-Link, Netgear.

discuss 08:26 25 Nov 05

mgmcc, once again thank you for you invaluable information,

One last question though. Which cable router are you using?

The ADSL router was for my aunt, I, on the other hand have telewest cable and would really like your views on the best router for me to invest in.

Thanks

mgmcc 09:29 25 Nov 05

I am currently using the Buffalo WYR-G54 Airstation - click here
- and previously, before going "wireless" used a
Belkin router - click here

discuss 09:50 25 Nov 05

Thank you. I shall follow your advice and see how I get on. If I get stuck, may need your advice on setting up the security options of the router. Your a star!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…