help installing 2nd SATA drive

underworldmagic 18:30 19 Nov 04

hello,

i need some help installing my second SATA hard drive.

im using a P4C800 e-dlx mobo,
first hard drive Raptor SATA 74GB - installed and running
just got new hard drive Western Digital SATA 250GB.

i have plugged in the new 250GB hard drive and device manager has got it listed. when i go to disc management (right click my comp, manage) there is a window which comes up "Welcome to the Instalize and Conver Disk Wizard" i dont know what to do. its saying something about a dynamic disk?

disc management states the 2nd hard drive "unknown" not instalized its listed it as Disk 1 and the first hard drive as Disk 0

all i want is to use the second hard drive as i would normally, i dont want no raid thing. just a simple hard drive made into partitions.

how would i achieve this?

please help
thanks

VJ

andrew-196854 19:38 19 Nov 04

i think you need to format it first or did you ???

underworldmagic 13:20 20 Nov 04

what i did was

= put the drive into the computer,
= booted up,
= went to disk management, and a Welcome to the Instalize and Conver Disk Wizard popped up,
= it installed the drive, then asked me id i would like to create partitions
= created 4 partitions, assigned letters to the drives, then quick formatted them

thats it now the partitions are in my computer. i was abit scared at first when i saw the Wizard when it stated something about dynamic drives.

ONE QUESTION

if i decided to format my C partition (on the Raptor), will the information still be accessable on the other hard drive (250GB WD) after fresh windows reinstall?

because to get this 250 gb drive working i had to go through that wizard in disk management.

would i have to do that again? would my data be safe?

alnwrd 19:13 20 Nov 04

If you format your c drive it will not affect data on any other drives.

underworldmagic 21:13 20 Nov 04

thanks, i was just worried because i had to setup the new hard drive via disk management, i guess that was because the drive was brand new, and there was no data on there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…