Help, I'm infected

dangerusone 08:54 23 Feb 07

I seem to be infected with "Tracking Cookies"
Ewido finds 4
Adaware finds 8 and Spybot usually finds a couple.
Names are
247realm
Falkag
Ru4
these are the ones from Ewido,I have tried scanning with System Restore turned off with no luck. Also when I open my Homepage (BBC News) An advert can open up,Dating site,Tescos or gambling site. None of these sites have been visited intentionally.
Hope someone can help me.Bri

crosstrainer 08:59 23 Feb 07

Both Ewido, and adaware should be able to remove these for you... when you complete the scans you need to place a tick in the box (adaware) where the infections are listed... then click remove. Just scanning for items will not remove them unless you tell the software to perform the action.

Hawy 09:06 23 Feb 07

or try CCleaner from click here

Totally-braindead 09:07 23 Feb 07

There is no way you surf the web without getting some sort of tracking cookies on your PC. Its normal to find them, do not worry about them just when you run a scan delete them.
You're not really infected in that they will not harm your computer.

birdface 09:39 23 Feb 07

If you want to block them,Tools,Internet Options,Privacy,Sites,Add them to the sites already blocked,

birdface 09:44 23 Feb 07

I would try an other Spyware program,A Squared.or something like that,I am sure someone might come up with a better one,

gudgulf 09:55 23 Feb 07

click here will tell you all you need to know about cookies.

I have my web browser (Firefox) set to automatically delete all the browser cache and cookies that I haven't protected (like the PC Advisor website log in cookie).

Other than that Ccleaner or Adaware will remove them for you.Nearly all cookies are harmless or very low risk and all websites,including this one,will set them every time you visit.

When you say Ewido I asume you mean the updated AVG 7.5 Antispyware program (formerly Ewido,now owned by AVG).If not you might think about updating click here

It's also very good at clearing the undesirable tracking cookies.

dangerusone 10:53 23 Feb 07

I delete them every time I scan but they always seem to come back (usually the same ones) which makes me think there is something embedded which I am missing. Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep plugging away and lt you know the results.
I hace CCleaner and use it every day. Bri

wee eddie 11:35 23 Feb 07

They come from the sites you visit and most of them are harmless.

I get them from here, the DTI,HM Customs & Excise and almost all commercial sites. If they are all you normally visit, then a weekly clear-out will be sufficient or even excessive.

dangerusone 12:15 23 Feb 07

When a site, ie Tesco appears can I copy the address from the top toolbar and paste it into Privacy/Sites and click on block

birdface 14:47 23 Feb 07

That should work,You either block them or allow them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…