Help! I think that Windows XP (SP2) has crashed.

Triprajul 11:45 17 Dec 10

Greetings:

I am writing this message in total trepidation. None of the icons on my desktop are working including Mozilla Firefox. However, I can launch programs from the display tray like uTorrent and Advanced System Care but those same programs will not open up on the desktop. Also, spybot will not open from the display tray or desktop but Super Anti-spyware (SAS) will. When I click on start button, I can’t launch any programs from the pop-up program list like MS Word 2007, VLC player or Mozilla Firefox. However, any open windows in Firefox or MS Word 2007 are still functioning but I can’t open the programs themselves. For example, in a Firefox open window, I can open a new tab from the drop down menu in an open file and I can even compose this message in an open MSWIN 2007 window from a new tab. However, I suspect that if I close all the open firefox and MS Word 2007 windows, I won’t be able to get back into either program. The only changes to my system that have occurred a short time ago was that I ran Registry First Aid (free and limited evaluation edition) to clean up my registry. I know that the RFA program created a restore point but I can no longer access that program in any way (i.e., desktop, display tray, and from start button). Finally, I went to Accessories (from start), and then to system tools, and clicked on restore but nothing happened. Maybe if I reboot my computer everything will be OK but frankly, I am just scared to do so. I have had system crashes in the past and they were, very frankly, very, very devastating to me in terms of lost files, lost productivity and so on. Any advice any one can give me in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Triprajul 12:00 17 Dec 10

BTW, I also have Google Chrome on my desktop and it also refuses to open when clicked on. However, I have a functioning and open Google Chrone window at the bottom of my desktop. What gives?

Clapton is God 12:10 17 Dec 10

"what operating system"

Er, read the title of Triprajul's thread.

Triprajul 12:26 17 Dec 10

Greetings:

Thank for all the quick responses. I use Windows XP (SP2). Using this OS, can I still open run, type msconfig, under tolls and try running restore from there? I have never done this before (if even possible) so exact instructions on how to do would be very much appreciated. Finally, I simply can not open Registry First Aid in anyway so restoring my registry from there is simply impossible. Any advice given is greatly appreciated.

Triprajul 13:15 17 Dec 10

Greetings:

Thank for all the quick responses. I use Windows XP (SP2). Using this OS, can I still open run, type msconfig, under tolls and try running restore from there? I have never done this before (if even possible) so exact instructions on how to do would be very much appreciated. Finally, I simply can not open Registry First Aid in anyway so restoring my registry from there is simply impossible. Any advice given is greatly appreciated.

Triprajul 14:09 17 Dec 10

Greetings:

Sorry for the double reply. As you know, I am having computer problems. I will do as instructed but I want to be prepared for anything. Some other people have recommended the following:

a) Scan the computer for viruses and then put the computer in safe mode and reboot. However, how do you put the computer with OS XP (SP2) in Safe Mode?

b) Other advice: Reboot computer and then try the "Last known good configuration" option. However, again, how do I get access to this option?

Any advice given is greatly appreciated.

Triprajul 14:22 17 Dec 10

Greetings:

Well, I went to run (via the start button), and typed in "msconfig" in the run Open box but Windows said, in the next pop-up box, that it couldn't open the file because it didn't know what program created the file. What can I do now?

rdave13 15:06 17 Dec 10

I agree with Midgetninja that the registry is corrupt. You should try 'last known configuration' and system restore via safe mode first, though, I doubt they'll work.
Only thing I can suggest would be a repair install of XP. Note only try this as a last resort as it can be risky and you do so at your own risk.
Remember NOT to select the recovery console and select your current installation of XP.
click here

You will have to revert to IE6, if possible, before the repair, less problems to verify your copy.
If you have problems with Windows updates after the repair then see this; click here
Try backing up all your docs, photos etc before trying the repair.
Good luck.

lotvic 15:48 17 Dec 10

in the run box try typing msconfig.exe and see it that will open it.

lotvic 15:56 17 Dec 10

In run box to open the System Restore type (or copy and paste) %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Triprajul 17:05 17 Dec 10

Greetings:

I am going to click "resolved" but actually my problem is not resolved. However, I will try everything suggested and I will get back to you guys later. BTW, I tried typing in the "run" command line but no luck. I suspect she is going to the shop again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…