Help, I think I'm being attacked!

slimpickins 17:41 07 Oct 03

I've been receiving ever more emails containing the Swen worm, so far today I've received over 70. I am a home user with a small website and several active, long established email addresses. Is this normal or am I being targeted?

It's taking forever to send/receive at the moment, what should I do?

johnnyrocker 17:59 07 Oct 03

you could d/load mailwasher or similar and set your rules, then one click removes them all.

cheers.

johnny

Jester2K II 18:05 07 Oct 03

Someone you know has the virus and it's being sent to you from their PC. You are not being specifically targeted.

slimpickins 18:45 07 Oct 03

Thanks for the advice and the reassurance. Is anyone else being assailed in this way, in 6 years on line I've never experienced anything like it?

Jester2K II 19:23 07 Oct 03

Yeah. I get a few everyday.

BIGBAGGY 19:25 07 Oct 03

I was getting 1000s of emails returned to sender and others containing viruses.

Valvegrid 19:41 07 Oct 03

I'm just wondering if you have any 'mailto' links on you web site? I used to have one on my web page and received so many spam mails I had to disregard the email address and remove the 'mailto' link. I have put another email address on the site but this time in text, so it's got to be copied and pasted to send the email, since then, no spam.

Paul.

T0SH 19:41 07 Oct 03

I read somewhere in the last few days AOL scanned 40 million e-mails, 24 million were infected with worms or virus ,so all our chances of getting some of them in your mail box must be pretty good

Cheers HC

slimpickins 22:56 07 Oct 03

Yes I have a few "mailto" links and they have always resulted in a few spam emails, I suppose I get about 15 a day in all. I've always recieved a few viruses of one sort or another but this is freaky. I haven't checked for a couple of hours but I was up to 98 Swens for today.

Nellie2 23:10 07 Oct 03

I haven't had a virus for ages and ages!! Must be scared of me.

don't know if this is any good and I'm not sure if it was the thing I was looking for but I know there is a way of putting your mail addy on your site so that email harvesters can't see it.

click here

Mango Grummit 00:27 08 Oct 03

eh? Sorry Nellie2, please forgive my lack of understanding here (your message/your link) but what is your point?

1,000 apologies for being dense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…