HELP!! I need passwords

calluminmk 20:48 25 Jan 04

Hi all,
I am currently creating a website through Mindscape website creator version 2 and I need it to be a private site. can anyone help me? I am only 13 so I can only do very limited HTML however I can do little things.
I also own XP frontpage if it helps?
Does anybody know of a good FREE 100mb FTP hosting site?

jaydeeace 21:09 25 Jan 04

For the password thing, look on lycos/tripod uk for .htaccess tutorial.

100megs ftp for free and good? Hmmm, can't help there, matey :o(

Taran 22:04 25 Jan 04

If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan to do with 100 megs of web space ?

Most domestic sites are only a meg or two. HTML pages are normally only a few k in size and you can optimise your images so that they are not too large.

Here is a link to a quick and dirty site I knocked up in FrontPage 2000 quite a while ago to demonstrate some of the programs features click here

You can download the entire site if you like:
click here

The download is 124k and the whole site comes in at around one meg in total [on disk]. That is for several images and a dozen or so pages. It took me a few hours to make the site, start to finish [you can tell] but it might give you an idea of how much you can cram into a small space.

100mb of web space is far more than anyone would probably need.

Keep in mind that the available space is only one factor. The critical point is bandwidth. It's pointless having 100mb of available space, epsecially if you intend to use it all, if you are limited to three or four hundred megs of bandwidth over the year.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want the site to be locked down ?

There are many ways of setting up user authentication. You can use active scripts (PHP, ASP, JavaScript, Perl/CGI etc) and all kinds of other things.

Take a look at the excellent CoffeeCup Password Wizard click here

It generates password protection for individual files or entire sites, and you can set up multiple users. It's a small download and you can use it for a free trial period. After that it's about £20 to buy and worth every penny and more.

You don't say whether you want to be able to let people "join" your site, perhaps by submitting a username, email address and password, along the lines of an online forum. If you do there are lots of possible solutions.

If you give a bit more detail one of us may be able to suggest something.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…