Help!! I Need A Chemist...

johndrew 19:06 20 Jun 06

Not the high street variety, I should add, but one of those who is up on their adhesives.

I have a commercial DVD which has some cyanoacrylate (superglue/Loctite) on the playing surface - clever me for mixing DVDs with other work!! The question is, can it be removed with any solvent that will not attack the DVD itself?

I`m sure that there is someone out there with enough knowledge to advise me on a recovery method if it`s possible.

Thanks in anticipation.

Confab 19:10 20 Jun 06

Isopropanol is your best bet.

click here

SANTOS7 19:14 20 Jun 06

click here
click here

these may help (apart from sandpaper suggested in first link)..

€dstowe 19:15 20 Jun 06

Acetone or 2-butanone (MEK) is used in A&E departments for loosening skin stuck with cyanoacrylates but I'm sure that won't do the DVD any good at all.

Catastrophe 01:08 21 Jun 06

click here

IPA?? Don't think so. But then I am only a chemist - not an optimist.

;)

stlucia 12:40 21 Jun 06

I use cyanoacrylate for model making, and I'm aware that you can buy cyano remover from model shops. Here's an example click here

I haven't used it, and I don't know what its chemical constituents are.

On the other hand, cyano is not waterproof, so a prolonged soaking in soapy water might be your best and safest bet.

amonra 13:36 21 Jun 06

I agree with stlucia put the disk into a bowl of soapy water (soap, not detergent) and go down the pub for a few hours. It may take some time but it will come off.

Catastrophe 14:07 21 Jun 06

If I were you I would try acetone which is commonly used in nail polish removers.

Catastrophe 14:12 21 Jun 06

Just noticed £dstowe is concerned about acetone. Try it first on a 'coaster' to be sure.

anchor 14:27 21 Jun 06

€dstowe is correct; Acetone or MEK, (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), is worth trying.

However, as already stated, what the effect might be on a DVD I have no idea. As Catastrophe suggests, try it on a disposable one first.

I doubt Isopropanol will do anything.

johndrew 14:49 21 Jun 06

I guess the best advice is soapy water and a trip to the pub!! I like the latter anyway!!

Seriously it does appear that I should avoid solvents and as for any mechanical means, well my hand is not as steady as it once was. I really do not want to damage the DVD as it probably isn`t replaceable.

All I can say is that I`m glad DVDs are plastic as at least they are unlikely to corrode in soapy water as quickly as some metallic materials.

Thanks again for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…