help I can download anything

big bella 21:49 02 Oct 03

I wonder if you knowledgeble lot can help me? I have win xp (he)2000+ processor 512mb 80gb bought from Time and everything has been dandy. p.s I'm also on broadband, but just recently I can no longer download anything from the internet. pages load fine but whenever I press the link to download (and I've tried many different sites) I get about two green bars on my progress bar the the page freezes. I have to close the page by pressing the red cross in the corner. I rang ntl on sunday and they said the connections at their end were fine and to talk to Time about my settings. this I did and twenty three pounds lighter (£1 per minute)I just couldn't stay on the line any longer (I'm on incapacity benefit)I had to come off the phone with my pc still not being able to download anything. I have ran my virus checker which has found nothing. I'm really stuck guys. any help would be most appreciated.
mikey b

mark500 21:56 02 Oct 03

Go to Tools/Internet Options/Security/Custom Level and check to see if "Downloads" has been disabled. Also, if you have a firewall like ZoneAlarm, it will block downloads depending on it configuration.

Steven135 21:57 02 Oct 03

I know its stating the obvious but have you tried to roll the sustem back to before the trouble started.

There will be more helpful suggestions

MAJ 22:01 02 Oct 03

Are other links clickable, big bella, if not try this click here. Do you have a firewall installed? Also go to, in IE, Tools > Internet Options > Security tab, click on the "Internet" globe icon then click the "Custom Level" button, scroll down a little to the "Downloads" section and make sure the entry "File Download" is enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac