Help - how to revover a MS f word document

Red Herring 20:32 25 Oct 05

Please don't ask how I did this! I erased the content of a Word file and saved it. I now have an empty Word file - no surprise there then! Does anybody know how I can recover to the previous version (same file name)?

I running Word 2000 under Win 98SE.

Many thanks

Jackcoms 20:35 25 Oct 05

It's gone for ever. :-(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 25 Oct 05

If word is still running you may stillhave a temporary file of the old doc still available try op en and the location where the file is stored and look for the temporary file $

Simsy 20:47 25 Oct 05

the option to "Always make a backup copy" turned on you'll be OK...

However, I don't think it's on by default.

Tools>Options>Save and it's the tickbox at the top.

If you do have it enabled, what happens is that each time you save a document it automatically saves, in the same location, a document with the same name but a .bak extension. It is always one save "behind" the document version, and so is ideal in a sitution such as this.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Monoux 20:47 25 Oct 05

Not 100% sure but I think when you Save or Save As then all the temporary files created by Autosave are deleted

GroupFC 21:14 25 Oct 05

I've just been having a play around and I don't think this is the case - it seems to be as Simsy says,"... a document with the same name but a .bak extension. It is always one save "behind" the document version."

Monoux 21:39 25 Oct 05

Try click here for more info. I think I was getting mixed up with trying to open a saved file which shows in the article that the bak file and temp files are deleted.

Ooooooops

Red Herring 22:40 25 Oct 05

....found it in the .bak state

Much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…