Help! How to improve wireless signal strength?

teacher_ellie 14:43 14 Jun 06

I am a teacher and have just got a laptop with wireless access to use in my classroom.
I am competent with computers generally, but have only ever used wired networks and internet so know nothing about wireless…

My problem is that the wireless signal in my room isn’t great, and I can only put my laptop in one position, as its got to be plugged into a projector, so moving it around isn’t a possibility.

the signal seems ok, until the kids are in the room, and then it drops off.
It has been suggested that their mobiles, (usually switched on, but silent) are interfering. Is that possible?

Is there anything I can do to improve signal strength?

I am connecting with an external card, (D-Link air plus exteme-G, 2.4ghz)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Ellie

ade.h 14:55 14 Jun 06

"It has been suggested that their mobiles, (usually switched on, but silent) are interfering. Is that possible?"

Yes, it's possible. Either that or all the peircings!

Where is the router and who is responsible for it?

rodriguez 16:33 14 Jun 06

You can get booster aerials that fit on both the router and wireless interface on the computer. But it is up to the school to get these fitted. In the mean time just tell the kids to switch their phones off - or get the head teacher to tell them if they don't ;-)

teacher_ellie 18:53 14 Jun 06

The router is about 25 metres away in a building that adjoins ours. I cannot move or otherwise alter it, the IT techies deal with that stuff.

We will eventually have one in our corridor, which should improve the situation, but that will only happen when the school has some spare cash.

ade.h 19:00 14 Jun 06

That is too far away to offer a stable link from a seperate building. In fact, I'm quite surprised that it works at all. Once a wireless signal becomes unencumbered by walls and other obstacles, it can travel a reasonably long distance, but from building to building, I would not expect too much.

Tim1964 21:12 14 Jun 06

As well as mobiles interfering it could possibly be the children themselves. 40 'lumps of meat' moving around the room won't help the signal either. :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…