Help with Home Network

seth7garcia 10:31 25 Nov 07

Hello. First off, I have a Westel 6100 modem, wired to my Netgear RangeMax Next Wireless-N Router.

I have one computer(Vista), and a X-Box 360, wired. Two laptops (one Vista, the other XP), and a Playstation 3 are using wireless.

I am currently having problems getting my Vista laptop to see shared folders/files on my wired computer, and vice versa.

Also, whenever i take my vista laptop and wire it, it doesnt seem to work properly. It wont connect to the internet, although wirelessly, it will. In Network computers and devices for the laptop, when wired, i only get the laptop, wirelessly, i see my laptop and my desktop. however as state before, cannot access any files.

My Xbox 360, and my Playstation 3 work fine, i believe they can see my files on the wired pc. I cannot check the other destop or xp laptop, due to the fact, they are my room mate's and he's sleeping atm.

Thank you for your time, and any help you might provide

mikesuther 18:13 26 Nov 07

the reason for this is simple the network for win xp is work group name mshome, vista uses a different network to setup network click on network setup and make sure that bot machines have the same work group name then selct the files you want to share. hope this helps this issue was in one of the last magazine letters page, i have not got the copy to hand but if you try above and see how you go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009