Help home computer

COLIN-234466 17:40 20 Feb 10

Help needed please my tower pc just stopped working no warning my daughter said it also happened yesterday but came back on .Could it be the power supply going into computer or could it be something else ?.Many thanks ninnian

Technotiger 17:44 20 Feb 10

It could be the PSU, but also could be overheating - how long since the PC was thoroughly cleaned inside, all dust and fluff removed especially around fans and grills.

COLIN-234466 17:50 20 Feb 10

Hi technotiger . PC was cleaned about 6 months ago never overheated before also got extra fans on front and sides . Not really much fluff inside ?.

Technotiger 18:00 20 Feb 10

Sounds like PSU may be on its last legs then. Just in case I am correct, make sure you have anything important backed up.

Technotiger 18:01 20 Feb 10

... but there shouldn't be any fluff inside!

Pineman100 18:03 20 Feb 10

ninnian - it would be helpful if you could explain a bit more about the "just stopped working". Were there any on-screen reports before the computer stopped, or did it just go completely dead without warning, while your daughter was working?

Did the power light go out?

Did the screen go dead too, or was it still working (although - obviously - with no image to display).

I'm sorry if this is stupidly obvious, but have you checked whether the power plug is pushed fully home into the socket - in the wall and in the computer?

COLIN-234466 18:19 20 Feb 10

Hi everyone thanks for help .No fluff inside and the comp just stopped working checked power cord and was ok fuse also fine moniter still working .I am running a 8800gt graphics card and psu was 400 watt over a period of a year could it have been to much for psu as if i remember it should have been at least a 450 watt .?

Pineman100 18:23 20 Feb 10

If you have an underspecified PSU, then it sounds very much as though this could be the problem.

Technotiger 18:23 20 Feb 10

Yes, looking more like the PSU.

GaT7 18:26 20 Feb 10

It could well be, but it really depends on the quality of the PSU. I know people were running a 8800GT on a 300W Dell PSU.

What's the make & model of the PSU? Can you try it in another similar PC?

Or, can you try removing the 8800GT & running the PC on the onboard graphics alone (if it has this)? G

COLIN-234466 18:30 20 Feb 10

Think it is psu myself . Thanks everybody

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac