HELP HELP HELP.

herc182 18:12 24 Oct 04

Dear all,

I am on my gilfriends laptop. she just got the internet and i offered to put an av on it and a firewall (avg and sygate). anyway, in my wisdom i decided to add myself onto the computer as an administrator (on windows xp). trouble is that her computer seems to have deleted her account and i cant find any of her work on the HDD! please tell me there is a solution or i am mince meat....

help and thank you

VoG II 18:19 24 Oct 04

Does her account show up in Control Panel/User Accounts, or on the Welcome Screen?

herc182 18:24 24 Oct 04

no its not on there. any other ideas?
only mine and the guest account? the acount isnt so important, more the work that was under that account....

herc182 18:28 24 Oct 04

i created a restore point just before doing all of this though. should i use that? would it restore it all to the way it was??

VoG II 18:29 24 Oct 04

Have you logged on as Administrator to try to find them? To show Administrator on the Welcome Screen click here

VoG II 18:30 24 Oct 04

Have you logged on as Administrator to try to find them? To show Administrator on the Welcome Screen click here

Cuddles 18:30 24 Oct 04

Right click on MY COMPUTER > EXPLORE > DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS the user name should be there click on it to open, in the right hand pane you should see all the folders in that profile.

VoG II 18:32 24 Oct 04

Yes you could try a Restore. You could always reverse the Restore if it made things worse

Cuddles 18:35 24 Oct 04

Oops forgot C DRIVE should have come before DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS

herc182 18:37 24 Oct 04

cuddles:

oly me and administrator on there.

VoG:

i am an administrator. i cant see how an account could be deleted or overwritten without confirming this would happen. as atest i added another user as an administrator and that went ok.
there must be a way of recovering the documents through the registry? orsome utility to buy to recover the documents? she has just come home and has hit the roof! is my life worth living?

VoG II 18:40 24 Oct 04

There is a difference between logging on as Administrator or as a user with Administrator privileges.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…