Help with hard drive/ windows install please.

Never again 08:31 10 Oct 03

I have recently had problems with my hdd which are covered in a previous thread, and am now trying to reinstall windows on a newr drive that was originally a slave.

I have set the jumpers ok so that it is now the master and disconnected the old drive. The bios has autodetected it as a 40gb hdd which is right.

It did't have an operating system on it previously as it was just used for additional storage do I installed dos, fdisked and formatted and reinstalled windows, but it only recognised the hdd as a 2bg drive.

I have searched the treads and it seems that i did not enable large disk support somewhere, but i dont remember seeing this option.

Is there a step by step guide to follow somewhere or has anyone some advice please.

TECHNODIMWIT 08:45 10 Oct 03
  alan 2273 08:45 10 Oct 03

Try this click here

JIM 09:23 10 Oct 03

fdisk/ again for full winME)

1, put in a boot disk and get to the A: prompt.

2, type "fdisk" and press 'Enter'.

3, When it asks if you wish to enable large disk support type 'y' and hit 'Enter'

4, Select "Delete dos partition or logical dos drive" and select your partition. Now you'll be taken back to the fdisk main menu.

5, select "create dos partition or logical dos drive" Which should be option 1.

6, Select "Primary dos partition" which again should be 1.

7, It verifies the drive integrity then asks if you want to use the maximum available space. Say yes. When it promps for a volume label just hit enter.

8, it prompts you to restart the computer. Press ctrl+alt+del.

and

Format and install.(again for full winME)

1, after restart put the WinMe disk in the primary cd-rom drive and shut down again.

2, Remove the boot disk.

3, Power up and select "Install Windows".

4, follow the onscreen instruction.

Never again 09:41 10 Oct 03

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I'll try them out tonight if I get the chance.

Never again 10:02 11 Oct 03

I now have a working home pc with a 40gb hdd, although win xp will not recognise my broadband cable modem so I'll probably settle for Win me again.

Now I have to start reinstalling everything.

Thanks again.

ollie < one> 11:46 11 Oct 03

v

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5