help on hard drive nearly full

chrisjohn 14:17 04 Aug 10

ok i have a aspire 5720z the hard drive is split c and d for data my c drive is nearly full can i make d drive back into c so their is only one drive and it will give me 40gb extra space,can this be done easily withought any problems ?

howard64 14:35 04 Aug 10

it depends if the d drive has a recovery prog on it for your pc. To alter the partitions without losing all your stuff you will need a partition manager and make sure you back everything up first.

woodchip 15:07 04 Aug 10

That is the Restore Partition, if you mess with it you will not be able to Restore the PC

chrisjohn 14:24 06 Aug 10

ok thanks i only have 1gb left on c drive ,d drive has 31gb left out of 32gb what can i do i dont have many programs on pc iv deleted most i dont use but has not made much dif,i think all the updates have filled it,is their anything else i can do.

chrisjohn 14:26 06 Aug 10

oh yer iv opened d drive but it seems empty appart from some pics i have put their.

AlanHo 15:21 06 Aug 10

With Windows 7 you can use windows Disk Management to shrink the D: drive to your chosen size. Windows will tell you how much you can shrink it.

This will leave a block of unallocated space on the disc. You then expand the C: drive to absorb the unallocated space - thus making the C: drive bigger.

Sea Urchin 15:35 06 Aug 10

"oh yer iv opened d drive but it seems empty appart from some pics i have put their".

The recovery program will be on a hidden partition on the D drive to save it being accidentally deleted.

chrisjohn 15:40 06 Aug 10

ok thanks everyone im running vista so what can i do ,can i shrink the d drive ?

chrisjohn 16:00 06 Aug 10

iv found c drive in computer managment but the expand icon is greyed out ?

woodchip 16:36 06 Aug 10

If you alter the Partitions that means any, Restore will not work from your recovery CD. What you need to do is Remove all the Programs that you have CD's and keys for, then Reinstall choose Custom install and choose the D:\ drive to load to. You would be best creating a Folder first on D:\ and name it Program Files like you have on C then load them to that folder on D

chrisjohn 16:53 06 Aug 10

many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac