//some 3rd party need geo

Help in hard drive features

Aiptek 15:10 24 Jan 03

I'm looking for a good reliable hard drive up to 120GB. Apparently I'm very confused with the features, which each hard drive has. And I'm not sure which one is going to suit me. I've been coming across features like: - 120GXP, UDMA100, EIDE, UDMA133, 180GXP, ATA100 2mb Cache and 8mb Cache ATA133.

I've got no clue what does each stands for. Some one please explain what all that means? Or at least advise us a site that gives a good explanation for beginners like me. Also could some one advise which hard drive is best for me?

I have a PIII, Windows XP and a 20GB Hard disk which is Western Digital but
Not sure about more technical parts.
I usually do my University Projects, download music and watch DVD.

flecc 15:23 24 Jan 03

120 GXP is an IBM model and I would steer a little clear at present, they've been having rather nore trouble than I like at present despite their advanced designs.

The numbers that matter are:-

The UDMAS or ATA speed, 100 or 133. These are the speeds at which the drive eads/writes cached information.

The access time, typically about 8.5 milliseconds on modern drives.

The spindle speeds, get 7200 rpm in pregference to 5400 rpm, although see below.

The areal density. This is the number of gigabytes of data per square inch that the drive can give. A very high areal density on a 5400 rpm drive can make it almost as fast as a 7200 rpm one.

Overall advice? Go for UDMA/ATA 100, 7200 rpm. The remaining measurements are much the same for all drives. UDMA 133 is a proprietary speed of Maxtor who create that standard, it's very little faster, those numbers mean the number of megabits per second peak. In practice, once the cache is emptied all modern drives run at around 30 to 40 megabits per second.

Recommended makes? Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital, although Samsung are now making a name for themselves and you might like to risk a toe in the water. Avoid Fujitsu, there are very few left anyway, and for the moment, IBM as said above.

flecc 15:27 24 Jan 03

The cache size helps, 2 mb is typical but 8 mb is useful, but consider this. The 2 mb will empty in one fiftieth of a second, the 8 mb in about one twelth of a second, so neither will make a huge difference unless the drive is very intensively used.

flecc 15:30 24 Jan 03

For partitioning and formatting, Partition Magic 7 can handle up to 80 gb, Partition Magic 8 up to 160 gb.

Windows XP cannot format over 32 gb of drive for you in FAT 32, but OK with NTFS.

Aiptek 15:53 24 Jan 03

Thank you very much Flec for your precious help. I really appreciate it. Please keep the good work going. Anyway some thing is clicking in my head.

shani_g 16:18 24 Jan 03

thanks you all guys but, please keep in your mind Aiptek have P-III so not recommend him 120gb, may his motherboard will not support this capasity.

60-80gb seagate baracuda can be usefull for you. but upto your motherboard....

shani_g 16:26 24 Jan 03

* capacity....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…