Help with Graphics Board with Windows 7.

bgrave 17:27 06 Nov 09

Hello. I have just installed Windows 7 on to a previous home built PC that ran XP Home; the main board is Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3l. The PC works; but I have just discovered that my aging Graphics Card (Radeon X 1300 / X 1500) is incompatible with Win 7 ie I can only use the Windows drivers, the driver CD just will not run.

I am looking at the Radeon HD 4850 PCI Express X 16 2.0 Interface. My mainboard only refers to the graphic card slot as PCI Express X 16; will this be compatible with my system.

Thanks in advance.

GaT7 17:50 06 Nov 09

Are you able to run the X1300 at all with Windows provided drivers?

If yes, leave it alone. You don't need to install the drivers off the disk, as Win7's will be more up-to-date.

If not, try the latest compatible drivers for Win7 directly from ATI - click here (32-bit version). Apparently Vista drivers will work with Win7, but Win7's own could be a better option.

The HD4850 will be compatible with your motherboard, but is a big step up (not to mention, expensive too). Check if your PSU will be up to the job - post its make & model & we'll let you know.

Btw, you could get away with a much lower-end card for a lot lower price. Apart from the driver issue, what is the upgrade for? Do you play any of the latest 3D games? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac