HELP GETTING BROADBAND

VID1973 12:02 03 Feb 08

Afternoon everyone....
I am currently 1 of the persons still stuck on dial-up, as u can imagine it is a total nightmare for everything that is the Internet.
My phone line into the house is with Virgin.
They say BT own the cables for broadband.
BT want £175 to put a BT line into the house (cant BT just take over the line???)
Virgin said they can give me an ASDL connection but,,i need a BT line in the house,,,how does this work,,,what the difference with the virgin phone line into my house and 1 BT want £175 to put in??

Fingees 12:10 03 Feb 08

It's usually because the line was probably originally BT then taken over by Virgin.

The charge is quite usual for anyone wishing to revert to a BT line.

VID1973 12:18 03 Feb 08

This is not the case,,,my flat ,,when built (10-12 yrs ago) has always had a Telewest,,then Virgin line in the house,,,never a BT line.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 03 Feb 08

I'm sloghtly confused:

BT phone taken over by Virgin?
Usually BT phone disconnected and Virgin (NTL) cable fed to house for phone.

This means you could have a CABLE modem and broadband from virgin rather than the ADSL over the phone lines via a BT phone line.

Virgin said they can give me an ASDL connection but,,i need a BT line in the house,,
See above

VID1973 13:06 03 Feb 08

Virgin do not own the cable in the street,,,only the phonelines

Sea Urchin 14:00 03 Feb 08

"This is not the case,,,my flat ,,when built (10-12 yrs ago) has always had a Telewest,,then Virgin line in the house,,,never a BT line"

Then surely your telephone line must be via cable - Telewest and Virgin both cable companies

peter99co 14:18 03 Feb 08

I think you should make a check with your neighbours who may be on Broadband and see whose cables they are on. This sounds a bit odd to me.
Where are you receiving you info from about ownership and is it in writing or word of mouth,

brundle 14:21 03 Feb 08

Check out your local exchange and who owns/supplies what click here

VID1973 14:56 03 Feb 08

Virgin have said that it is BT that own the cables

VID1973 15:49 03 Feb 08

Am just off the phone to Virgin,,on their website it says i can get SUPERFAST BROADBAND but their advisors said i cannot,,i am around 270 meters from my exchange which is just up the street from me.

peter99co 21:16 03 Feb 08

I wonder if you have thought of a USB modem that operates on 3G I have set-up one for my laptop and it works a treat The cost is £15 a month for 3 gig of downloads and connects to Web anywhere you can use a mobile phone. see details on '3' website. The modem is Free with a Two Year contract. No cables reqd.I went to Car Phone Warehouse and checked it out. My mate cancelled his NTL and has used one for two years. He was lucky because he got unlimited downloads.Its a bit lateral but you might find its worth checking out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…