Help with friends Packard Bell and re-config

Giggle n' Bits 13:13 01 Mar 04

I have helped my friend system restore her PBell to original factory settings and like the Packard bells have the preinstall Pbell software riddled through the system some adivce is needed.

The P.bell branded Keybaord, Mouse, and the supplied printer is no longer Packard Bell.

To install a different keyboard, Mouse & Printer is it the Active Surf, or Active .. ? software which I will need to unistall using the smart restore tool.

Also as Norton Internet security is well out of date like 2001 to replace this with just a Norton AV 2004 again can using the P/Bell smart restore to safely remove the Norton internet security.
As the NAV is all she wants.

I will call back later se if anyone can help.

hugh-265156 14:32 01 Mar 04

activsurf(backweb) is useless in my opinion.its also loosely classed as spyware.its only used for "automatic delivery of interactive content" lol! :-)

you can remove the software that is pre installed using smart restore if you wish to install later.or just use add remove programs and then delete any left overs in program files etc.

you may have two choices when using the PB restore floppy.return to factory settings,which as you know installs all the other "useful" stuff.and "windows only" which is just windows and no PB software.this would be my choice.

Giggle n' Bits 19:15 01 Mar 04

Yes this Active surf stuff is horrible.

Ref: the Norton Internet security 2001 which has never been updated or had a subscription update, if she just wanted NAV2004 would you think it be safe to use the Pbell smart restore tool/software to Uninstall NIS 01 and install NAV 04 ?

Whats Surf Fairy when its at home (I am a straight guy)

Giggle n' Bits 19:17 01 Mar 04

Yes this Active surf stuff is horrible.

Ref: the Norton Internet security 2001 which has never been updated or had a subscription update, if she just wanted NAV2004 would you think it be safe to use the Pbell smart restore tool/software to Uninstall NIS 01 and install NAV 04 ?

Whats Surf Fairy when its at home (I am a straight guy)

hugh-265156 01:44 02 Mar 04

LOL! actually if its what im thinking it is,its nothing to laugh at at all EyeSpy.

do you mean "surfairy" ?

if so,its more spyware im afraid,but is easy to remove dont worry click here for info.

if it was me(and this is just my opinion) i would use your restore floppy again but this time choose "windows only" from your list of restore options.unless you actually want to use any of the pre installed PB software.

the ammount of spyware installed with my PB factory settings option is ridiculous.i found all sorts of things(teknum systems(handybits/easy crypto deluxe/backweb/ and many more i cant remember the names of) after a "clean" install,even befor i went online.all of it was due to the software pb so kindly provided me with.

before/if you do this then,download these first and save to a cdr and as soon as you install windows,install them all straight away before you even go online with your clean system.then update any that need updating to keep things nice.

blaster patch click here (this is a must)

free avg antivirus click here (is very good,just update it regulary and scan often.its as good as nortons in my opinion)

free firewall click here (also good and easy to use.every bit as good as nortons too)

free spyware removal tools.spybot search and destroy click here adaware click here (update them before running a scan and remove all they find on their default settings.use both as they complement each other well.great little programs)

this will then stop most spyware and adware getting on to your system again.spywareblaster click here (update this regulary also and then select all items listed and click protect against checked items)

if you decide not to restore windows then do still run a check for adware and spyware with the above,get the blaster patch installed and use any antivirus and firewall you wish if you dont want to use the above(anything is better than nothing)

also check windows update and install anything that is listed as critical or security related click here

sorry for the waffle.

hugh-265156 01:58 02 Mar 04

ps.

re:your above question about norton and smart restore.

i would just use add remove programs to remove any program you want to uninstall.including norton.smart restore is only useful to uninstall and reinstall the pre loaded software(most of which i wouldnt have anywhere near me again,as above)

it aint so smart either but i wont go into that :-)

Giggle n' Bits 12:35 02 Mar 04

these PB's seems to be full of fairys watching you eh.

Did I say it was ME not XP, take it blaster doesn't effect ME.

But thanks for all the links, they will come in usefull.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…