help!!. formating hard drives

spudsniffer63uk 22:28 13 Jul 03

iv just got a brand new hard drive maxtor plus 8 30gb 7200 ome 6e0310 and it will not format tryed it in two pc both were working on smaller drives so i take my spare hard drive that i had in a pc running try formatting that that is doing the same thing so iv tryed 3 new boot disks . still no good its just showing ,trying to recover allocation unit ,any one help plz by the way im trying to load win 98 and my spare is a seagate very old ,thanks dave.

BillEmm 23:03 13 Jul 03

Please give some details of the PC.

The drive should be recognised as it is factory formatted - this is a quick format which makes life easier for the user.

You might like to try using Maxtor's own software - MaxBlast (can be downloaded from Maxtor) - which can be better for installing/formatting drives in older PCs with older Operating Systems.

A few thoughts.

Bill

polar_king 23:08 13 Jul 03

go to
click here
and let the software check your disk
it will also format it

exodus 23:50 13 Jul 03

Had a similar problem when fitting my Maxtor hdd fairly recently. I used Maxblast3 which can be downloaded from the Maxtor site.

davidg_richmond 00:12 14 Jul 03

Is the drive partitioned? You will need to run the bootdisk, then 'FDISK' from the command prompt. Option 4 will tell you if there are any partitions there already. If not, create a logical DOS drive, then create the 'primary partition'. Then it will tell you to reboot the PC, leave the bootdisk in so it gets back to the DOS prompt, and try formatting it again.

Apologies if you have already done this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…