Help with font identification Part 2

R.C.M. 21:07 26 Jun 06

Sorry for pinching the title - I was reading the thread about font identification and I was interested in the subject.

Over the years I have collected several Serif Page Plus Font Collection C.D's. These C.D.'s came as part of the package when I upgraded from Serif 1 up to the present Page Plus 11.

I have never used these C.D.'s as I thought no-one would be able to recognise the font unless they too had Serif? Have I been wrong in this assumption? Will a document in Word recognise and reproduce the document's Serif fonts?

DieSse 21:43 26 Jun 06

*Will a document in Word recognise and reproduce the document's Serif fonts?*

Not unless when the document was created it used the MSWord font embedding protocol - but can you create a Word document with Serif Page Plus?

R.C.M. 22:03 26 Jun 06

I've always stuck to Times New Roman or Arial because they are both available in Word and Serif. Since reading the past font question I've been trying to understand the difference between True Type fonts and Open Type fonts?

I would be worried that if I used one of the open type fonts from the Serif Collection [which I had installed into my computer] either in Word or Page Plus - if the recipient of my document would not be able to read it because they do not have the same font on their computer.

Sorry if this sound silly, but I know what I mean but I can't explain it very well.

De Marcus™ 22:07 26 Jun 06

I was always of the impression that a document sent with a particular font has to be installed on the recipients machine, i.e. in the c: windows/fonts folder, otherwise the document wouldn't be viewable in it's full originality.

It's one of the reasons why I've always stuck to fonts installed by default to the windows font folder or if I know otherwise, converted to a jpeg, i.e. a heading, logo, slogan, etc.

DieSse 22:12 26 Jun 06

Read the MS Word Help on preserving a documents original appearance. (put preserve into the help search.) It tells you how to embedd fonts (and when you can't) so that they travel with a document.

R.C.M. 22:13 26 Jun 06

Thanks for that - you have explained more clearly what I have attempted to explain but failed miserably at.

De Marcus™ 22:58 26 Jun 06

About preserving a document's original appearance
Show All
Hide All
Microsoft Word provides several options for creating "portable" documents — that is, documents that always keep their original appearance no matter which computer or printer you use to view or print them. These options are especially helpful if you share documents with others, or if you create documents on one computer, and then view them from another computer or print them on a different printer.

Embedding TrueType fonts in a document

If you use TrueType fonts when you create or edit a document, you can save or "embed" them in the document. That way, others can view, modify, and print the document with its original fonts — even if they haven't installed the TrueType fonts on their computers.

Note that TrueType font vendors determine the licensing rights for embedding fonts. For example, some fonts can't be embedded, and other embedded fonts can be viewed and printed but not modified.

Substituting missing fonts when you view a document

In some cases, a document may contain fonts other than TrueType fonts. If these fonts aren't installed on your computer when you view the document, you can substitute the fonts that most closely match the missing fonts.

Preserving a document's original layout and page breaks

By default, Microsoft Word 97 and later versions use fonts to determine document layout. That way, as long as the fonts remain unchanged, anyone can view and print the document with its original line breaks and page breaks.

If you open a document created with an earlier version of Microsoft Word or with WordPerfect, Word uses your printer to determine document layout. If you prefer a document layout that's independent of the printer, you can instead have Word use fonts to determine document layout.

R.C.M. 21:54 27 Jun 06

Please excuse my late reply to your thread. I go to bed around 10.00pm and I was out all day today therefore I did not get your response until now [21:48]

I have bookmarked Microsoft Word Tutorial at the section that explains the difference between "True" & "Open" Fonts.

Thank you all for your kind efforts to try and get me to understand how to work "this thing". It is very much appreciated, again sorry for not responding sooner.

All the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…