Help fitting a new hard drive

rob_absalom 09:39 04 Mar 03

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. I currently have a Dell PC, Petium 3 500mhz processor, 256meg ram. The current hard drive is only 8 gig and I want to install a larger one (40-60gig). I have been told that there is a chance that because my PC is about 4 yrs old the bios might not recognise the new disk size, is this right? Although I'm not a beginner with PC's I'm cerainly no expert in this area. How can I check to see if a new drive is going to work ok? I don't want to order one for the pc to still only recognise 8 gig of space. any help would be much appreciated. Cheers Rob

MAJ 09:48 04 Mar 03

You might need to update your BIOS to recognise the new drive. There are a couple of ways to get round it, if you don't fancy doing that and personally I wouldn't advise you to update the BIOS, it can be dangerous if you don't know how to do it properly. Most drive manufacturers will have a software solution you can use to get your drive recognised, a Drive Overlay, I think they call it, I used one last week but can't remember the exact name of it. Another way to get your computer to recognise your new drive is to use a PCI controller card. This slots into one of your PCI slots and allows you to connect other CD/Drive devices.

Gongoozler 10:02 04 Mar 03

Hi Rob. You really need to know what your Motherboard and BIOS are. Download and install Aida32 from click here, or Belarc Advisor from click here. Either will tell you what your motherboard and BIOS are, as well as a lot of other useful information about your pc. Aida32 is more comprehensive than Belarc, but at 1.7M is about twice the size of Belarc Advisor. When you know what the motherboard and BIOS are, you can go to the makers website and find what the limitations are. If your motherboard doesn't recognise a large hard drive, you can still use one if you fit a pci ide interface card such as the Maxtor from Dabs click here at £30 including vat. When your computer BIOS detects no hard drive on the motherboard ide connector, the ide interface card BIOS takes over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…