Help to Find external drive that supports FAT

greamec 21:25 28 Mar 08

I just got a new stereo but have found that the USB port will only support a drive that is formated to FAT not FAT32 (don't ask me). I have a 2gb USB pen drive that will format to FAT but my Western Digital 160GB Passport drive click here only seems to do FAT32 or NTFS.
Is it the case that only pen drives and floppy disks are capable of formatting to FAT or am I missing something.
Can anyone recomend a large capacity 60gb plus drive that will do FAT and not FAT32.
Thanks very much
Greame

brundle 21:35 28 Mar 08

2GB is the limit with FAT - just partition your WD appropriately.

greamec 21:41 28 Mar 08

Hi brundle and thanks for your help. Are you saying that I would need to create 80 seperate partitions (roughly). Not sure if the stereo would see anything mor than the first partition, what do you think.
Cheers Greame

MAT ALAN 21:47 28 Mar 08

A NEW stereo that only supports a file system that is 28 years old, take it back, tell them its not NEW enough...

greamec 22:05 28 Mar 08

Hi Mat, I agree what were they thinking but I have demoed a lot of systems and the sound is awsome its a JVC UX-DM9DB click here the MP3 playback is truely awsome. I only discovered it only supported FAT only by chance because nothing would work, I have emailed them but the sound is that good I will be keeping it.
Cheers Greame

MAT ALAN 23:44 28 Mar 08

Shame , its a nice looking piece of kit..

The only work around i can suggest is to buy 80/160 gig ipod classic, get a van load of songs on one of them, you will have no problem with file transfer, replay...

woodchip 23:48 28 Mar 08

brundle say's it all. That is why old Win95 was a problem.

greamec 17:58 29 Mar 08

Can anyone surgest some software ideally free that I can use to partition a large external drive into 2 gb partitions please.
Regards Greame

brundle 18:35 29 Mar 08

The fact that it only supports up 2GB partitions suggests that it's not been designed to hook up to huge HDs - if you format the drive into multiple partitions the device will very likely only see one.

GParted might do the job, though I have no idea if it can handle USB connected drives. click here

MAT ALAN 19:14 29 Mar 08

It's actually, one byte less than 4GB, so a bit better...

MAT ALAN 19:16 29 Mar 08

Forgot thats with a 64k cluster size (can be changed)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…