Help with File sharing permission on XP Pro

associates 00:29 15 Nov 05

Hi,

I have a several computers on my LAN. One of the computers is the file server. There is a shared folder that is currently shared on the network. It's sitting on C:\. There is no a proper permission set on that folder. This means anyone can access to it once they are on the network. What i'd like to do is to set a permission on that so that only certain users are allowed to access to it provided if they can provide a correct password. So what i've done is that i've found some help on the internet. I followed the procedure. What i've done for a testing only is as follows

1. turned off the simple file sharing
2. set up a user and a group and put the user into the group
3. go to the shared folder called aaa -> click on sharing and security -> under sharing, select the share this folder, then permission, add the group (Full Control)-> apply and OK
-> then go to security tab, add the group (Full Control)
4. Firewall on both computers (fileserver and computer as a client) are disabled
5. Both computers are on the same workgroup
6. Both are running windows XP Pro

After having done all that, i went to the other computer that has its simple file sharing turned off as well. I went to my network places folder, and i could actually see that folder. When i clicked on the folder, it said that it is not accessible, ... contact administrator.

Can anyone please tell me where i did wrong here? or any settings that i missed out on?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

mgmcc 08:54 15 Nov 05

In the "client" computer, are you logged in with an Account that has a Username and Password which is identical to that which you set up in the permissions of the "server" PC?

Alternatively, try using the "Map Network Drive" option in the "client" PC to setup a network drive which points directly to the "shared" folder. Use the option to log in using a different Username/Password, then use the details as set up in the "server" permissions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now