Help with "extract", "search" & "find" excel funct

Mark-335400 18:29 14 May 03

I was wondering if anyone could give me any "beginners" advice about using these functions in Excel. I am quite profficient with Excel and the "IF" functions, (which over the last few years have provided me with the results i need). However I now need to get more out of the worksheets and these functions look to be the way to go but I can't seem to grasp the correct way of setting them up. The scenario that these functions need to be "fitted" into is this, I work at a motor dealership in sales admin, each car is given a stock number and the next cell reflects the model, when a new cars chassis number is known it is entered in the next cell, and once the vehicle arrives into stock the date is entered into the next cell, two more cells are taken up with the date ordered and the invoice number charged by the manufacturer for payment of the vehicle. What I would like to be able to do is to extract the vehicles and there associated cells which for example have details entered in there chassis number cells and move them to a seperate worksheet which will be used to tax and register the vehicles etc.... Any ideas

VoG™ 18:39 14 May 03

Hmm, I haven't heard of some of those myself. There's FIND and EXACT and if you download this click here you can learn all about them and a lot more besides.

If you wish to you can achieve what you want to do by using the filtering facility built in to Excel.

Select one of the cells in your heading row and then from the menu - Data>Filter>Autofilter.

You can now choose to show all entries where the chassis number entry (or whatever) is not blank. Having filtered the cells you can then select and copy or move as you wish.

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…