Help with external storage please

Jade 14 G 17:51 05 Jun 06

Hi,
have bought a external storage device but haven't a clue what to do except pull it apart and plug into a usb plug or whatever the right name is.
Its a DaneElec one with 265mb.
What l hoped it would do was store a lot of word classes l have done in case anything happens and the worst senoria l lose the lot,
Jade

VoG II 17:54 05 Jun 06

If you have Windows XP it should appear in My Computer when you plug it in. You can then copy files from your hard drive and paste them onto the flash drive, or drag and drop them.

Diodorus Siculus 17:56 05 Jun 06

Do you have xp?

If so plug it into the USB port and it should be recognised as a form of removable storage and it will be assigned a drive letter.

VoG II 18:00 05 Jun 06

You may find click here helpful.

rodriguez 18:01 05 Jun 06

Windows XP:
When you first plug it in, it will pop up saying found new hardware then it will start to install itself and after a couple of mins it will say it's installed and ready to use. Then just go to My Computer and find the drive with the highest letter and removable storage icon and drag and drop your files to it.

Windows 98/98SE/ME:
Insert CD that came with it and install the drivers BEFORE you plug in the disk. When the drivers are installed, plug the disk in and it should recognise it. Then go to My Computer and find the drive the same as before and drag and drop files to it.

VoG II 18:02 05 Jun 06

Also click here

Jade 14 G 20:10 05 Jun 06

I have xp and plugged it in and it just told me l had new hardware and to re- boot which l did and nothing has happened since tthen,
Jade

Jade 14 G 20:12 05 Jun 06

It had no cd with it or anything about it, it was just in one of those plastic pkts

VoG II 20:15 05 Jun 06

Plug it in. Ignore the message to reboot. Does it show up in My Computer.

Jade 14 G 20:18 05 Jun 06

No it doesn't, you just hear a noise then it tells you to reboot but l have just done it again and its the same.

woodchip 20:19 05 Jun 06

If you look in Windows Explorer By pressing Windows key plus + key this will open Explorer. Look down at the bottom of the list and you will see a removable drive this is your new drive you can save file from Word to this or do ir by just dragging the file in Explorer onto the drive. if you right click on the drive you can choose new folder then give it a name so that you can organise your work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…