Help external hard drive not working???

stephen0205 12:06 03 Aug 07

Hi i plugged in my xternal hard drive into my laptop this morning and i got some surge error and i was to reset the pc and every time i plug it in it ives the same, even on a surg protection plug, i then thought ill try it on my other laptop and my desktop, it didnt even pick it up, what shall i do

ambra4 13:21 03 Aug 07

Installing External USB Hard Drive in Windows XP

Go to this site and at the bottom of pictures of HD cases there is instruction on formatting the new drive just follow the instructions

Installing the Hard Drive in Windows XP

click here

Diemmess 13:52 03 Aug 07

While ambra4 has offered good advice for a new ext. HD, I have the feeling you may have vital data already stored on it?
If it is a virgin HD then ignore the rest of this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are talking about a used HD then it would be wise to make sure the fault is not in it's case.

Depending how confident you feel (and it is a screw driver job only) you could open the USB case, unplug and remove the HD.

Then it is possible to try it as a slave HD in your computer.

Obviously, if it still wont behave, then the fault either mechanical or software configuration of the HD itself.

If it does behave then it must be the case, though such a failure is pretty unusual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…