Help! EVERYTHING HAS GONE!

Bob The Nob© 21:24 28 Nov 06

Sorry, It just My toshiba external harddrive has just competely died.

Windows says 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'

It is shown in My Computer but the name I gave the drive doesn't show.

I need everybit of data off the drive as it all my life, college my websites, my pictures, my movies. EVERYTHING!

I'm all bit worked-up because I was playing a game, saved it and then it died. The game saves to the drive so I was working before hand.

I have got some recovery software but I would like some ideas from you lot before hand. I also have partition magic 8. I don't really want to pay to get my data off it because its got some stuff I shouldn't really have.

There hasn't been a known power surge in the house either because no light bulbs have blown.

Any ideas??? I'm going to try Linux now, post how it goes in a mo.

VoG II 21:26 28 Nov 06
  Bob The Nob© 21:28 28 Nov 06

Thannks VoG tell you how it goes after nix

Bob The Nob© 21:34 28 Nov 06

Kubuntu has just seved my life!

Probabilitydrive 21:38 28 Nov 06

BTN, glad to hear, care to share how you did it?

I'v a WD external HD and am ever so slightly paranoid, when I come across HDD failures...

SANTOS7 21:41 28 Nov 06

valuable lesson to be learnt here, if you value your files that much put them on removable media like a DvD+RW or something like that..

Bob The Nob© 21:43 28 Nov 06

Can anyone tell me how to mount a Windows HDD in Kubuntu live linux. Its an NTFS artition, oh, can it write to NTFS? If not want linux does?

iambeavis 10:10 29 Nov 06

Visit the ubuntu forum - click here
there's a good chance that, if you explain the problem, somone will have the answer as they often seem to use 'live' CDs to rescue systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos