Help with error message win 98se

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 08:07 11 Aug 03

Hi,when i boot up i get error message:-
While initializing device CONFIGMG: windows protection errror please resart windows
when i do it gives me choice to start in safe mode witch i do,i look round find nothing and restart and all is well,but on boot again i get same message any ideas?

Regards.

-pops- 08:11 11 Aug 03

SYMPTOMS
When your computer restarts after you run Windows 98 Setup, you may see the following error message:

While Initializing device CONFIGMG: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur because Windows Setup flushes the L2 Cache as it initializes the PCI-to-AGP Bridge on a Micro-Star International MSI-5169 motherboard.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, contact your computer manufacturer to inquire about the availability of a possible BIOS upgrade. If you already have the latest BIOS version for your computer, you may be able to work around this problem using one of the following methods:
Disable the external (CPU or L2) cache in the CMOS. For information about how to do so, refer to the documentation included with your computer or contact your hardware manufacturer.
If you are using an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) video adapter, try replacing the AGP video adapter with a Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) video adapter.
MORE INFORMATION
This error can also occur is the BIOS APM setting is incorrect. Use the following steps to resolve the APM issue:
Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab.
Click the plus sign (+) next to System devices.
Double-click Advanced Power Management support.
On the Advanced Power Management support Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
Click to select the Force APM 1.0 mode check box, and then click OK.
Restart your computer in Normal mode.

From click here

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 08:17 11 Aug 03

Sounds good pops but i havent been running 98 setup it been installed a while now so does this still apply to me ?.Also i havent got the above Mobo and i think my pc uses ACPI power managment.

Regards.

JIM 08:22 11 Aug 03

How long have you had this error,did you download or update,change anything of late.Would think some sort of history must be there. Would help.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 08:27 11 Aug 03

Hi Jim,Only thing i changed latly well saturday was my ram i upgraded to PC2100 ddr 512 stick from 256 sdram pc133,cant remember having it before that but would ram do that,alter the L2 cach i mean.

Regards.

JIM 08:37 11 Aug 03

i would not discount anything after a change.You sure you have the right ram for the board? Anyway i would reverse what you have done,for a start,take the precautions for the ram and change
back.Got to make a start from some point when all was well (that you know)... :)

Post back.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 08:49 11 Aug 03

Hi,Jim i hecked mobo site and crucial site so im prety sure it the right ram,i wish i could go back the reason i changed was my old ram was broke
so got no more to put in.

Regards

Stuartli 08:51 11 Aug 03

It could well be that you have not inserted the RAM firmly enough in the memory socket.

If this doesn't work, as Jim suggests, take out the new RAM and restore the status quo.

Boot up using a Windows StartUp disk (you do have one don't you?); at the Command Line prompt you should enter:

SCANREG/RESTORE

(despite what has been said elsewhere in these forums you don't require a space after ScanReg).

You should then see the Registry Checker, which will allow you to select the backup line that you know to be sound from the five listed; the system will restore to that point and you should be back where you started.

If you want to increase the number of previous Registry Checker backups, edit the SCANREG.INI file in C:\Windows by changing the number in the line:

MaxBackupCopies=X

(change X to the number you require)

Then Save and Exit this file.

Stuartli 08:53 11 Aug 03

Your last post about no more RAM was posted whilst I was typing...:-)

Still worth checking that you have inserted the new RAM correctly - and in the first slot (your manual should advise the order in which they are used to add RAM).

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 09:51 11 Aug 03

HI,i checked ram and it wont go in any more and it firm and it in slot0 witch i believe the 1 to put it in first.

Regards.

Stuartli 10:01 11 Aug 03

Then it can only be surmised that the RAM itself is faulty - it's not uncommon even with Crucial.

You may know someone with a system that can take this type of memory, so it could be worth trying it in that for confirmation it may be faulty before contacting Crucial.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…