Help - Error 721: the modem is already in use...

Peter C 17:22 28 Jan 04

AOL Broadband (BT Voyager 100 Modem)
Packard Bell iMedia PC
Windows XP

i have nothing on my computer except AOL Broadband and Windows XP.

When i sign on with AOL, i get the error message:

721: the modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or not configured properly.

If i UNINSTALL AOL BB and the BT Modem drivers, then RE-INSTALL them, it works, and it connects and stays connected. However, when i disconnect from aol, or restart the computer, after that, it doesn't work again, just keeps coming up with that error.

AOL will not help me any further, as its not an aol fault, it's "something in the computers settings" (quoted from aol) which is causing the problem.

They said a program runs when you're online that uses the modem somehow, which disconnects when you come offline. They reckon this program is not disconnecting when i come offline, so therefore when i then try to reconnect, its seeing the modem is already in use.

Please someone help with this, beggin, cuz aol will not do another single thing about it, and the warranty on the pc has run out.

thank you.

Peter C 18:15 28 Jan 04

I AM ONLINE NOW, AND CANNOT DISCONNECT TILL IT's SOLVED, SO IS THERE ANYONE ABOUT WHO KNOWS NOW?

VoG II 18:18 28 Jan 04

You might have some spyware that is "phoning home". Check using Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

Lozzy 18:20 28 Jan 04
  Peter C 18:25 28 Jan 04

done that, same problem.

i set up a home network on sat, which failed to work, so took it all back off, could anything there b causing the problem? if so, how to find out?

Peter C 18:25 28 Jan 04

@Lozzy

that link doesn't do anything?

Peter C 18:55 28 Jan 04

please help

VoG II 18:58 28 Jan 04

Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK.

Look what is set to run and check against the lists click here

Untick those you don't want/recognise. Reboot.

Peter C 19:03 28 Jan 04

have done that too.

8-(

have been on this since 10 this morning, 3 PC helplines and AOL helpline, no joy!

there is a program that starts when you connect to the internet that uses the program (a program that is supposed to be there, not spyware) which disconnects when u disconnect from the internet. It is not disconnecting when u disconnect from the internet, making the computer think the modem is already in use when you try an re-connect.

what is this program? how can i fix it?

i've even formatted my hd today?!!

Peter C 19:32 28 Jan 04

anyone?

Terry Brown 19:45 28 Jan 04

Have you tried going to the device manager [press windows key + Break together]hardware , device manager. Select the modem, properties, uninstall.
You will then need to re-start the system,where XP will find software and re-install it according to the software installed. This will work with any hardware devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017