Help with dvd drives

Total_Sabotage 20:08 25 Mar 06

My pc does not pick up that i have a cd drive and a dvd drive i just bought a dvd rewriter and i can't install it any advice would be greatfully appreciated sorry about the limited info but i'm a noob when it comes to computers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:13 25 Mar 06

can you see both drives in My computer?

You need burning software like Nero to burn to DVD XP will see the drive as a CD.

Total_Sabotage 20:19 25 Mar 06

No i checked my computer and all it says is 3.5 floppy (a) which i presume is a floppy drive even though i don't have one and i went to drivers and there's no sign of it there i also have nero but it would load up since the drives aren't working :(

Total_Sabotage 20:34 25 Mar 06

can anyone help i have to go to work at ten and if this was sorted it would be a great help :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 25 Mar 06

In device manager click action menu and select scan for new hardware.
Does it find the drives?

If not switch off, unplug, open the case and check the cables are fully inserted at the drives and at the motherboard.
Also check the jumpers on the drives are set master on one slave on the other.

Switch on do you see the drives on the POST screen as the computer boots?

Total_Sabotage 21:01 25 Mar 06

when i turn on my pc the following msg comes up

Diskette drive 0 seek failure
primary drive 1 not found
Secondary drive 0 not found
secondary drive 1 not found

and i checked all the cables are fully inserted

Totally-braindead 21:06 25 Mar 06

I think Fruit Bat /\0/\ has given you the answer its more than likely the jumpers, set the jumpers on the back of the drive as slave and try again. If you're not sure what we mean by jumpers post back and I'll try to get a link to some pics for you.

Total_Sabotage 21:09 25 Mar 06

yeah i'm not sure what jumpers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 25 Mar 06

BIOS is not detecting drives
Therefore cable problem / jumper problem / IDE controller problem

Recheck ribbon cables are in right way round, power cables are in and jumper settings on drive.
In BIOS check IDE channels are "enabled" for both primary and secondary channels.

Total_Sabotage 21:21 25 Mar 06

hot do i get to Bios before i turn the computer off to check

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:32 25 Mar 06

You can't

message on post screen as you switch on says "press XXX to enter setup" or something simular often ESC. or F2 or Del keys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…