HELP with dongle device on PC!

Seraphim 16:48 05 Mar 06

Hi all.

I have a i.Tech Bluetooth Dongle connected to my PC via USB. I have installed the mini-CD driver that came with it (WIDCOMM BTW 1.4). I have managed to get the PC to recognise the phone (Motorola v547). But I can't start the device. I right-click on the Dongle symbol (which is red 'cos it's off), click "start Bluetooth device" and error box pop-ups:

"Bluetooth Software License
Your Bluetooth Software License does not include use with this Bluetooth device. [6]"

It then opens a menu where you can manually search for a filename that's already keyed in called "license". I can't find it anywhere. When I close the box, another error box says:

"Bluetooth Software License not found. [2]"

Also, when the dongle is in, the PC cannot find the drivers needed for it. A box pops up constantly saying:

"Cannot install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #4
An error occured during the installation of the device
The system cannot find the file specified."

Any ideas?

mgmcc 09:03 06 Mar 06

Which version of Windows are you using?

SP2 implemented native support for Bluetooth in Windows XP and installing third-party drivers can cause problems. If you are using XP SP2, either use Windows own Bluetooth software or remove it and then use the 'Widcomm' software.

Microsoft article - "How to troubleshoot Bluetooth detection and connectivity problems in Windows XP Service Pack 2" click here

Seraphim 19:22 06 Mar 06

I'm using Windows XP Professional with SP2.

Thanks for the advice and link. I shall read up and post back should I have more problems or if it's been resolved.

Danoh 00:59 07 Mar 06

I've also got iTech bluetooth-2.0 and 1.1 USB dongles which worked but I have not used them for a while > book marking this to remind me to check their operation, and thereby remind me of their successful installation, to be able to come back and help if its not resolved by then.

Seraphim 22:50 08 Mar 06

Nope. I can't get it to work.

I've removed the widcomm software, allowed Windows to detect the Dongle for itself and it comes up with same error message. Went through the Microsoft article, did what was instructed, still the same message:

Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

And also I get:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #5

Sime388 21:28 23 Dec 06

I installed the software from the disc. Followed it through, then plugged it in when it told me to. Windows then picked it up and installed its drivers and whatnot for it too.
The device works with windows. Finding devices etc. Found my phone. Works well too.
Shame it's only Bluetooth 1.1.

I had it working once before perfectly. I think it was because i didn't let windows do it's job and install it's own crap for it.

However, i've never had this Widcomm software working properly with it, apart from the one time. But - to be quite honest the software was a bit poo. Windows' own is, most probably slightly better and more stable. Not as easy to use, however.

With the licence thing, you'll find a file called 'licence' on the small CD itself.

Hope thats a hand :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…