HELP! disk defragmenting not working!

diddi.ash 16:48 12 Feb 04

I am currently running windows 98, i disk defragment at least once a week as my computer gets slow when on-line but for some reason when the fragmenting page comes up it dosent seem to work, it makes the noise that its working but it stays on 0% Also i have tryed to scan disc for errors but that wont finish either!
Any ideas without having to re-boot?

nick_j007 16:52 12 Feb 04

I think I once read that you can defrag. in safe mode when this happens.
Give that a try maybe?

Nick

The Dark Sage 16:53 12 Feb 04

Are you continuing to use your PC while you are trying to defragment? If you are the system will recognize that the files on the disk have changed and restart the defragmenter.

The defragmenter in Win98 is not very good, mainly for this reason. Win2K and XP defragmenter is thankfully better.

Diodorus Siculus 16:54 12 Feb 04

Why don't you want to reboot? Starting in safe-mode is the best way of defragging.

The Dark Sage 16:55 12 Feb 04

will help, as there are less services running to mess up the defragmentation

diddi.ash 17:00 12 Feb 04

How do i defragment in safe mode?

gudgulf 17:02 12 Feb 04

If you dont want to go into safe mode then close all running processes.Press control/alt/delete and end everything other than explorer and systray.Then run scandisc and defragmenter.Not as good as safe mode--but you still need to reboot afterwards!

Diodorus Siculus 17:04 12 Feb 04

When restarting the PC, press F8 a number of times until you get a menu; choose "safe mode".

diddi.ash 17:06 12 Feb 04

I tryed that but they still dont work. I just get a blank screen with disk defragmenter and disk scan gets up to 3 sections then starts again!

anchor 17:07 12 Feb 04

Try Diskeeper Lite; its similar to the defrag: in XP.

click here

Sparks 17:17 12 Feb 04

This link click here will tell you about win98 defrag. Also you can download the windows ME defrag from there and it works with win98 and doe's a better job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…