HELP! Direct X9.0c graphics adapter missing

I foolishly performed a windows update yesterday (made a restore point first). The PC was crashing continuously and the error report pointed to a need for updated graphics drivers which windows update provided (ATI Radeon 9600 series).
Unfortunately my daughter cannot now play her ,much loved Sims games as we get a message saying that there are no DirectX9.0c comatible graphics adapters available.
I've tried looking on the ATI website but am not sure what I'm looking for and ended up downloading Steam and Earthism ??? w3hich didn't help.
Can anybody advise me (in very simple king words!) how to retsore the PC to a point where the Sims will play? Many thanks in advance!
PS The restore point didn't work when I tried it and nor will any before the intro of the update :(

RobCharles1981 11:10 05 Jan 08

Hi Debe, its always good to perform any necessary Windows Updates so in theory you did a deed by doing so.

On to your problem, it looks like your graphics drivers may have come corrupt, uninstall your ATI Catalist Drivers from your Control Pannel if it says "Do you want to restart your comp" click no reason you can download Ccleaner click here and Scan for registry issues to clean any left overs then reboot but before you do that download the latest drivers for the card from here ----> click here

Let us know how you get on...

Cheers
Rob

That was kind words!!

Thanks Rob. Where do I uninstall the drivers from in the control panel?
Have downloaded the drivers as you suggested and also CC.

Just found it!
It says
ATI Software Uninstall facility
ATi Catalyst Control Centre
Ati Catalyst Registration
Ati Display Driver
Which do I remove?

RobCharles1981 11:31 05 Jan 08

Remove all if you can, does it tell you that?? :-)

Hi Rob, many thanks I deleted all and there were a few hairy moments trying to reinstall but it is ok now and sims are playing (slowly!)
I just have to work out how to get read of "Steam" now (don't even know what it is! Thanks again

zksammons 04:00 05 Oct 08

I found this forum by searching 'Direct x9.0c graphics adaptor' on Yahoo! because I was having the same problem as Debe with The Sims 2. I just wanted to thank Rob_25_Wales for the help. I followed the instructions you provided for Debe and it worked for me as well, which says a lot because I don't know much about computers so error messages scare me. Thanks again for taking the time to explain this to us and getting us back up and running.

God bless,
K.A.S.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…